removing aluminum anodizing

-
A word on those welding rods, muggyweld or whatever. It works best on thin stuff like trim and radiators. I tried to repair a crack in a cast al 6 intake Choke stove and could never get the al base hot enough To melt the rod. I only succeded in melting the rod into the crack and the. It promptly fell out after i ran my finger over the cooled weld. So like the demonstrator does, heat the base and wipe the rod onto it until it flows and cthen build up your repair. I was on that intzke for 10 minutes with a mapp gas torch and could not get it hot enough. Oxy would have done it but i didnt have a rig. it probably would have not worked there anyway as it was over the exhaust riser and it gets pretty hot there. Tig welder did it up in aboou 10 seconds.
your Right on that part! I was talking to the guy that sell the welding rods for aluminum and he said you have to heat the base to about 730 working temp for that. plus I have a offy dual 1bbl manifold that I got off of ebay for 40.00 that had a crack on the bottom of the carb bowl(bought some of those rods then thinking I could fix my manifold cheap):banghead: and couldn't get it hot enough without deforming the metal slightly so that was out. took it down to the welder and 10 bucks later had it welded up perfectly! "man I want to get me a good Tig" and learn how to use it.
View attachment !!!!!manifold repair.jpg

it did come out pretty good. Now to do the carb hat's like a sixpack oval one if I can get another 2 of the small round ones or even 1 more big one I can trim down and weld up for the oval setup since I have the small setup ready to cleanup and paint
View attachment WP_20130414_012.jpg

well heres some pics of the grill after 3 coats of easy off oven cleaner and pics of the grill after sanding with 320, 600 the 1200 then hand polishing with mothers aluminum polish

thanks for all the advice, the finished product exceeded my expectations....1st hand testimonial that the process works perfect

P.S....I still have to paint the center semi-gloss black

Attachments

• DSCN0999.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN0998.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN1006.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN1003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 131
Yep. The easy off worked for me today too! Still have to sand with 1200, but looks great!

well heres some pics of the grill after 3 coats of easy off oven cleaner and pics of the grill after sanding with 320, 600 the 1200 then hand polishing with mothers aluminum polish

thanks for all the advice, the finished product exceeded my expectations....1st hand testimonial that the process works perfect

P.S....I still have to paint the center semi-gloss black

Man that came out nice! glad it worked out for you

-
Back