Removing Ballast Resistor

-

Pana.Mopar

Duster Down Under
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got dual ballast resistor set up on my Duster with Electronic Dizzy - Orange ECU and just purchased MSD Blaster 2 Coil. Just want to ask 2 x questions...

1. I want to get rid of the Ballast Resistor, which wires to I connect together?

2. I'm not getting 12v to the coil, how do I sort this issue out?

Thanks...

Do NOT remove the resistor on a Mopar ECU type setup

The ONLY TIME you will have 12 to the coil is DURING CRANKING (starting.) The rest of the time, the coil is supplied through the ballast, which will supply a lower voltage.

Here's a diagram of the hookup:

from here:

Notice far top right coming in labeled "existing wire." That is the "ign1" or "ignition run" traditionally dark blue wire coming from your bulkhead that used to go to your old ballast. NOTICE the drawing of the ballast, and the 'notch' at the bottom of the ballast. It MUST be hooked up that way, as the two halves of the ballast are different

ALSO notice the circuit going to the positive side of the coil marked "existing wire". That wire does not show the brown coming from the bulkhead, going to the coil side of the old resistor. That brown is the "bypass" during start and must be hooked up If you simply leave it hooked to the coil, and hook the old connector to the new ballast as shown, the brown will be where it's supposed to be.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=18

Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. What's the reasoning behind not removing the ballast resistor on a Mopar ECU type ignition? A fair few people have said that it is not necessary and the MSD Blaster 2 coil doesn't require then ballast resistor to lower voltage. Or is it that the ECU will have issues??

-
Back