removing center steering link with Energy Suspension tie rod end boots ???

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
1973 Dart all stock. I used Energy Suspension tie rod end grease boots when I rebuilt the suspension a year ago. Now I have to remove the center steering link to drop the oil pan. The new boots are much thicker than the stock style and won't allow the tie rod / pitman arm puller tool to go where it needs to be placed. Should I just cut the new boots off with a razor knife and replace them? How does everyone out there get around this situation?

This is the best I have used..
1690907754324.png

It is a U shaped casting that grips on the center link on either side of the stud. When you tighten the threaded rod in the center it pushes the stud out. Not the kind in the above post.

Old school way. 2 hammer method one on the back side held tight against the joint.
Other hammer for striking the opposite side to dislodge the taper.

I got it off. 3 came off like normal. The fourth one on the idler arm I had to cut the boot off. Fortunately I have extras. I am not impressed with energy suspension products for stock use. They are not direct replacement parts. They create more problems than they solve. I guess they are best for modified cars/hot rods.

-
Back