Removing chrome, what's the best way???

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here! I have a set of old school steel wheels for sbp that were originally chromed. The chrome on them must be pretty good on them despite having rusted in the usual places like inside the bead around the rim, so I would like to remove all of the chrome and paint them body color! I tried blasting them in my blaster, but it was no match for most of the chrome, so I'm looking for other options before I pay to have them heavy blasted! I was thinking maybe oven cleaner, but I am looking for suggestions!! Anybody have any ideas, or might have done this before?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Geof

Yea I have to agree with the above. Shouldnt cost that much to have them stripped. Then you can blast them afterwards. I dont know any other way unless you take a grinder to them and that wouldnt turn out very nice.
Rod

As far as I know the only way you can remove chrome is to dip the rims in an acid tank. That's how they strip old chrome off before replating. Plating shops never grind the chrome off!! Yes, you could use a grinder but you would surely cut into the aluminum surface and ruin your rims. Unless there some way that I've never heard of???

Heavy blasting will remove some of the chrome but it will also cut deep gouges in the aluminum since it is much softer.

Good Luck
treblig

Put them outside for 20-30 years... The chrome will peel naturally....

Yup. This^^^^^

x3. I recommend the same to customers with decent chrome jobs who want something else. It's about $20/rim give or take.

The problem nowadays is finding a chrome shop that's still open. The EPA has been hitting their industry very hard the last few years.

Well gang, you've convinced me, and stirred my memory banks a little! My cousin works at a chrome plating company, so I'll give him a call and see if he can run them!! These are deep steel small bolt rims, and were tucked up nicely under a 66 Cuda I bought, and I would like to run a pair on the back of my blue car for that wider look, and sell the other pair, but I want em to be nice!! Thanks for the replies all, I'll follow that path!!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 109
Just another suggestion is if you have a local company around that does anodizing and metal finishing like Black oxide and nickel plating they might be able to strip them for you too.
Normally under Chrome plating there is nickel plating so I think a company that would do plating of any sort could strip them for you.

-
Back