removing clutch pedal spring

-

stoke

Reaction score
Any tips on how to remove the heavy clutch pedal spring before I hurt myself? Thanks

This advice is from someone else here on FABO.
Seems like it should work.

Depress the clutch until the spring is extended as much it can, then slide some washers or whatever will fit in between the coils and release the pressure.
If you got enough washers in there, it should come right off.

I will try the washer thing. Thanks, the problem I am having is with a diaphragm type pressure plate not letting the pedal return, so if this doesn't
work I think I will put in a 3 finger type plate and try that.

the spring is for a 3 finger so if you decide AFTER you take out the spring to try a 3 finger, good luck putting it back in.

I will try the washer thing. Thanks, the problem I am having is with a diaphragm type pressure plate not letting the pedal return, so if this doesn't
work I think I will put in a 3 finger type plate and try that.

What brand clutch?
I run a centerforce dual friction with the over center spring and have no problem.

I also have C.F.dual friction , my pedal does,nt come all the way up,but my clutch still works fine.

Diaphragm clutches don,t require the overcenter spring. They were made for the Borg/Beck style pressure plate.I took the spring out on my 73 440/4 speed Duster. I tried the washers but had no luck. Finally it was pried off, but wear eye protection.My clutch wouldn,t return with the spring in place, now it works fine. Dave

I did the washer trick and it didn't work as planned or I didn't have enough washers installed. Anyways I finally got it out... the washers are still stuck in the spring and will not come out without a bunch of gnashing of teeth. lol I used a large screw driver and pry it off without trying to bend the pedal.

-
Back