Removing distributor

-

Joker13

Reaction score
I am breaking down my first motor, 360 (70s i think), and cannot get the distributor out. Should it just pull out after taking off the clamp plate or does it need to be at a certain position to "unlock" it?

How easy or hard should it be to turn the engine at the crank in case it do need it to line up at center or 1?

Just twist and wiggle once the clamp is off. Good idea to mark housing and rotor position for reinstall..

I have been wiggling it. It only moves about an inch. the motor has been sitting for years. I sprayed some PB blaster around it but the hasn't helped.

Try a small amount of heat. Propane torch. Around the base area. There is a rubber o ring that might be adheared to the block. Go easy with the heat. Had this happen with a crank position sensor. Could twist and wiggle but would not pull out.

Pending exactly how old and rusty it is, could very easily have rusted itself into the oil pump driveshaft. And the oil pump driveshaft could be trusted to the pump, the cam, etc.

Sounds like you are tearing it down to the block. Flip it upside down, pop pan off, take off oil pump, tap shaft our from the bottom. I'm obviously assuming you will be buying a new distributor, pump, and pump driveshaft.

Pending exactly how old and rusty it is, could very easily have rusted itself into the oil pump driveshaft. And the oil pump driveshaft could be trusted to the pump, the cam, etc.

Sounds like you are tearing it down to the block. Flip it upside down, pop pan off, take off oil pump, tap shaft our from the bottom. I'm obviously assuming you will be buying a new distributor, pump, and pump driveshaft.

Thanks, I saw that suggestion in a mopar book, i will give it a try. Yes, buying new everything at some point.

-
Back