Removing drive shaft to replace rear seal

-

Badfish1

Reaction score
Just wondering what the best way to remove drive shaft would be. 1967 Barracuda 4 speed trans. the rear shaft seal is leaking I believe. can you buy that seal a local parts store or will I have to order it. Any help on ordering the part or removing the shaft would be greatly appreciated. thanks

You will need a special tool. I think its called TNT. If you use too much, more will come apart than just the driveshaft.I'm not sure if this is the best way, but results are guaranteed.
Kidding!
After the car is elevated and safe to work under,You will need four tools; a bucket, a chisel, a hammer and whatever size wrench fits on the little nuts or screws that keep the rear of the driveshaft secure.
The bucket is for to catch oil that is sure to drip out of the tranny. The hammer and chisel is to remove the old seal.
A fifth tool is needed to drive the new seal in; a short tube that fits over the output shaft, and lays over the outer perimeter of the seal like a washer might, to prevent it from in any way bending during the install. The most common tool for this is a deep socket.Then simply drive the seal in with the hammer,straight. If the seal is not painted, you will need some sealer, otherwise the painted ones can go in lightly oiled.Be sure to put some grease into the rubber sealing area.I repeat, the seal must go in pretty straight.
Then stick the parts back together. Do not over tighten the rear retaining system.
As far as I'm aware there are only two seal sizes available for the A-833; one for the o/d and one for all others. In either size, they can be had with or without dust boots(the preferred ones). These same seals are used by 727/904s so should not be hard to find.
Sorry about the stupid TNT joke..

Your local parts store should have one.

Also make sure you block or (scotch) the wheels so the vehicle doesnt roll when you remove the driveshaft

Usually easier to remove u-joint bolts with the rear end yolk horizontal before you block the wheels.
Don't forget to refill.

I would block the front wheels, jack up the rear about a foot off the ground and set the axle on jack stands, make sure trans is in gear. Loosen the cap retainer bolts, remove u joint cap retainers on pinion yoke. Push driveshaft in towards trans to clear yoke then pull driveshaft down towards the floor, put a couple winds of electrical tape around the caps and ears of ghe driveshaft to prevent the caps from coming off and spilling the neddle bearings, or just take the caps off if your carefull enough. Then slide it out of the trans. Remove seal and install new one. Reinstall drive shaft making sure to line up the splines, push driveshaft in towards trans, remove tape if used or reinstall caps if removed, then pick up driveshaft to line up with pinion yoke, then pull towards pinion yoke seating the caps into the yoke, reinstall cap retainers, put trans into reverse, jack car up remove jack stands and let down. If you pitch the rear up enough on a level ground you wont lose but a couple drips of trans fluid. Also with the rear wheels up in the air it will make it easier to line back up as if your pinion yoke is not lined up exactly just simply turn one of the rear tires with your foot

Before putting that yoke back into the transmission clean any rust and/or any other smut off of it. Clean it well, using some fine emery cloth, then put a light coat of grease on all the surfaces you just cleaned. A lot of times old rust and junk will tear up your new seal the first time you drive the car if this step is skipped.

-
Back