removing gauges from 65 valiant. help

-

Jp5

Reaction score
gents,
can someone please give me the step by step on removing the gauge cluster but please elaborate on "lowering the steering column". i've removed the strap just below the column but it's still in the way. seems like if i could just lower it about 6" this would be so easy. how do I get past this roadblock? do i need to disconnect the column at the steering gear box?

thanks, guys. hope everyone is doing well.

jp5

You can leave the steering shaft connected at the steering box, but unbolt the 3 bolts on the firewall, left of the gas pedal that hold the column in place. Then you'll be able to lower the column further. The cluster itself has a low hanging portion for the speedometer, in which you need to tilt the cluster forwards to remove it, avoiding the speedometer portion from snagging on the dash frame.

I had the cluster out on my 65 Dart a few years ago and still have my 64 Valiant cluster out (ready to re-install), so ask if you run into other issues. Several posts you can find on resoldering the circular pins, LED bulbs, changing the voltage regulator (inside your fuel gage) and such.

right on. thanks for the advice guys. and yes, bill if i run into more issues i'll take you up on that.

-
Back