removing glass scratches

-

justin hughes

Miss my car
Reaction score
anyone ever tried removing scratches from the windshield? if so, whats the best method and materials used? seems every car i buy has scratched windshields from lack of wiper maintenance.

If you can feel them with you r finger nail , it is gone too far , you can buff them by machine but the glass will start to destort , using compounds.

X2 I did it to my 64dart vert on the 4 th of July. Got rid of most of the wiper trails and scratches,but as KT stated my windshield is now distorted. Not so bad that I can't drive the car but will be getting a new windshield when money permits. Used fine meguiers and a lot of work.
Moe

I have had great success with pearl drops toothpaste and a buffer.

i have used 1500/2000 grit sand paper and dish soap alot of soap and just easy pressure clean mines right up..same thing on head lights 1500/2000 soap and just knock the haze off the lens....got that from a buddy that runs a body shop..mike:wav:

Eastwood products make a glass buffing compound that works great! only problem its about $40. Took all mine out great. Also had enough to do all windows. Them look new again.

I work at a auto glass center and can tell you that if it is what you described above it is to far gone. You can waste alot of time trying to get the scratches out but it will never look clear. If you have comprehensive the insurance will replace the windshield no cost to you. IF it is broken "hint" "hint". It needs to be broke more than the length of a dollar bill. Yes its dishonest but so is the insurance companies..... think about it.

Im assuming you mean the old paste stuff and not the Gel right Rob?

I never knew pearl drops came in anything but the little bottle. The reason it works is cause it's WAY abrasive. Sucks for teeth but works for windshield. lol

If you can feel them with you r finger nail , it is gone too far , you can buff them by machine but the glass will start to destort , using compounds.
i can just barely get my finger nail to catch. looks like an old vinyl record , about an inch wide of little scratches and a couple thicker ones through the entire travel length of the wiper. and i only have basic liability with no glass coverage, so insurance helping me is out of the question. these are some good ideas you guys got, i will try the buffing, and if it distorts , then i will wait til tax return time and get the glass replaced.

I heard along time ago toothpaste would do it.I think the Finese(sp) It 2 compound will do just as good.scuff scratches is about as much as you would want to try to remove anything more and you will work yourself to death.The distortion aspect is probably from consentrating on one area.Widen out the area and that should help.

My local auto glass company wouldn't even attempt polishing my windshield becuse of the
Distortion problem and they couldn't get me a new windshield.
Moe

My mother-in-law had a 90ish grand am and the windshield was so bad with distortion it made me sick to ride in the passenger seat literally sick.worst windshield I ever looked thru.

While it's true that if you can get your fingernail hung on it, it won't come out, you can certainly knock the sharp edges off the scratch, which will improve it most of the time. I always TRY regardless of how bad it is.

-
Back