Removing inner fenders

-

dragracer501

Reaction score
I was wondering how much of a task it is to remove the inner part of the fender, does it have to be cut out? can it even be cut out any help?

Drill the spot welds, they're along the seam by the firewall, along the frame rail, and back up the seam at the rad support, and there's a few on the shock tower. That way when you replace it, it'll be a nice clean install. A couple hours and it'll be out. I like to use a hammer and drift/chisel between the layers at the seam. It'll help break the weld if you didn't get it all with the drill bit.

Buy an air chisel and about 5 good 1/4" drill bits.
Remove grill, fenders, drill spot welds 1/2 the way thru.
Use the air chisel to separate the panels.
Be extra cautious there is a 90 angle spot welded to the firewall, this has to stay in place, you cannot buy this part as I know of, be very careful when taking this apart.

Be extra cautious there is a 90 angle spot welded to the firewall, this has to stay in place, you cannot buy this part as I know of.

Actually AMD make that part now also. Also I would recommend a 3/8" spot weld cutter instead of Drill bits and air chisels.

Actually AMD make that part now also. Also I would recommend a 3/8" spot weld cutter instead of Drill bits and air chisels.

Probably good advice for an amateur.
I have done tons of sheet metal separation at the spots welds, and it is way faster to drill 1/2 way thru the spot weld and kiss it with a chisel, but if your are not careful a lot of damage can be done.

So the shocks aren't braced through the inner fender then?

No, there are a few spot welds tying the two together but not much support. I did mine several years ago only took an afternoon for both.

Attachments

• DSC_0150.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC_0182.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 292
thanks guys! secretly im thinkin about doing a 5.3 turbo ls swap and Im thinkin if I remove the fenders and brace the shocks into a roll cage it will have a lot more room

-
Back