Removing instrument cluster

-

jarhead 69

Reaction score
1968 Valiant. Floor shift. Trying to get the cluster out of the dash. Is the speedometer a "plug in" or what? How do I get the cable loose from the cluster?

Thanks!

Should be a little release clip on the speedo cable end that you press down to release the cable from the speedo head.
If you can find it with your finger you want to press down on the very end of it closest to the firewall.
Kind of a little rocker type idea that lifts the hook off the metal lip.

The release finger on the cable end is best described as one half of a wooden clothes pin. If all of the plastic broke bad enough, the cable will put straight off and need to be replaced.
If not all of it broke and the very end that catches the instrument hasn't broken, here's a plan. ... Jack up the car enough to go under the drivers seat toward the trans. You'll find a sheet metal strap welded to the floor that captures the speedo cable. Free the cable out from under that strap. Now you should be able to pull enough cable length inside the cabin to unhook the cable from the instrument with a small screw driver.
I always do this anyway. Speedo cable is about the last thing I'll disconnect and the first thing reconnected. It serves as my helping hand.

It broke into three pieces when I barely touched it. Now what? C-4?

I went to the wrecking yard and pulled the end off of one that matched (a lot of cars used the same end, not just Mopars)
Then I used 3M adhesive and glued the end onto my cable and it worked out just great.

Redfish is describing the rest of it real well.
Personally I just pull it back a bit from under the hood right where it goes into the firewall.
(just a couple of inches)

-
Back