Removing leaf spring Bushings

-

friesza

The Machinist
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the bushings on the springs and shackle? Is there any right up on it as I searched the forum but could not find any

Thanks everyone....figured after looking at it...I wedged a couple of screwdrivers under the lip of the spring eye and used a piece of pipe and it came out with a little pounding...but will probably use a friends press to put back in new ones....

I just did mine. Its much easier to drop the springs out of the car first.
The shackle bushings should come right out if you grab them with pliers and give them a twist. Yuo might have to work the shackle back and forth to slide the pin out. They are only rubber bushings.
The front eye bushing you take your drill and keep drilling into the rubber until you can pull the rubber out along with the inner sleeve. Support the spring eye and pound out the outer sleeve with a hammer and chisel. A 3 lb sledge not a little ball peen hammer.
You can pound in the front bushings or use a big c clamp. Dont pound directly on the bushing. The shackle bushings push in by hand with maybe a little tap with a hammer.

-
Back