Removing lenses, dash bezel

-

RDJ

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the best way to remove the lenses in a Barracuda rallye dash bezel (also the "Barracuda" emblem on the glove box trim). It looks like some kind of plastic rivets (see pics). But before I go prying, or drilling, and potentially breaking stuff, I am hoping somebody has already figured out the best way to go about it.

Also, what did you use to put them back in? little screws? are the plastic rivets available? metal rivets? plain old epoxy?

BTW, if you look at the last photo, the lower right corner of my bash bezel is broken. If anybody has a totally beat worthless bezel that the last two inches of the tab is in decent condition, I would love to purchase the last 2-3 inches of it so I can replace the broken part.

GloveTrimFront2.jpg

GloveTrimBack.jpg

BezelRivets.jpg

BezelEnd.jpg

To remove the lenses just grind away the melted plastic that holds the meteal frame for the lenses, I used a Dremel. To reinstall just use some 5 min epoxy. Not sure about the Barracuda script emblem but maybe the same way?

I just took mine completely apart, a Dremel would definitely work well, but mine were easily removed with a small flat head screw driver.
The plastic flattened heads just fell off when I worked the screw driver under.
Using the emblem as an example, it has plastic studs and they put them through holes on the dash piece. Once through the posts are melted back creating a 'rivet.'
Some needed a little more persuasion, just don't break the posts of the emblem and other pieces.
I plan on using some epoxy to 'weld' the pieces back together.

I started a thread for my spray can restoration, and I would appreciate any info on your progress.

DSC04746.JPG

DSC04747.JPG

DSC04750.JPG

Yes I have, it was my inspiration to do something, (although I curse you from time to time, lol).

Yes. I checked prices and they are cheap, so I just need to go get one. A hair dryer does not get hot enough.
Nothing really wrong with mine, so I hope this works.
I don't have a garage, the weather sucks, and painting in the basement sticks up the entire house- so a project that was supposed to last a week is getting ridiculous.

What do you think about my idea of painting the pot metal piece 'chrome' and removing the blue light pieces so the dash lights are brighter? (along with leds)
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=82043

Hey RDJ, what about getting a cheap glovebox door dash piece and using that as a donor to fix the dash bezel?

Hey RDJ, what about getting a cheap glovebox door dash piece and using that as a donor to fix the dash bezel?

Great Idea, thanks! And thanks to the rest of you also. The lenses came out easily. Now I can do this much easier.

A while back, I painted the area of the bezel that was the original beat up chrome with a chrome paint and the upper part of the bezel was an old looking wood grain sticker. I didn't like the look too much. So, my plan now is to paint the chrome part body color, and I took off the wood grain sticker and will paint that black. I used the Janvil plastic scratch remover on the lenses and they look pretty good.

The paint shop mixed up a can of the Viper Blue Pearl and put it in a spray can. I have already painted the engine bay, trunk and door jams the Viper Blue (and the exterior will be eventually). I painted the glove box trim the body color today to see how it would look. I like it. Here are a couple of pics. I will post the finished product next week if I get that far. I got it masked off tonight to paint the black. Lots of tape, corners, and curves.

I think the black in place of the wood grain will look better with my black and white interior.

BezEngBay.jpg

gloveBezel2.jpg

IntTest.jpg

-
Back