removing main caps

-

matty wardle

mopar dedicated
Reaction score
i am assembling my 451,does anyone have any secrets to pulling out the main caps,i hit em with a dead blow hammer a few times,wiggle ect,but them suckers just dont wanna lift out,i stuck a chisel between the caps and block but it scored and damaged the mating surfaces,anyone know a better way to get them out ,any special tools,or secrets to it,also i put plastgauge across all my journals and torqued the caps down and i got about 2 thou clearance on all journals,is that 2 thou all up clearance or 2 thou on either side of the journal,even thouggh i only plasigauged the top of the journal where the cap goes on and it squashed to two thou,does that mean theres two thou clearance between the journal and lower main shell as well or two thou all up clearance??????????????

Put a 12" ratchet extension or a big screwdriver in the bolt hole and and smack it sideways with your hand.
Just make sure you are not down into the threads in the block.

grab yourself a cheap body knocker/dent puller. grind a 1/4" grade 5 or more bolt. grind the under side of the head as close to a 45 degree angle as you can. round the edges off the head. now you can put it in the end of the puller. now grab you drill and the correct size bit to drill a hole to tap for a 1/4" x 20tpi hole. drill a hole in the middle of each main cap 3/8" deep. now take the tap and grind the point off. tap the hole, blow out junk from the tapping. screw knocker in hole and knock out main cap.

grab yourself a cheap body knocker/dent puller. grind a 1/4" grade 5 or more bolt. grind the under side of the head as close to a 45 degree angle as you can. round the edges off the head. now you can put it in the end of the puller. now grab you drill and the correct size bit to drill a hole to tap for a 1/4" x 20tpi hole. drill a hole in the middle of each main cap 3/8" deep. now take the tap and grind the point off. tap the hole, blow out junk from the tapping. screw knocker in hole and knock out main cap.

I wouldn`t do that to any motor that makes any horse power, we cracked # 3 main on the the hemi and everything was in excellent shape, line honed by an excellent machinist, perfect clearances. perfect crank, and it was 4 bolt mains. it will really weaken a cast iron main cap!

Make some 6" rods that just fit the bolt holes. Slide them in, use your hand to squeeze them slightly, wiggle the caps out.

I wouldn`t do that to any motor that makes any horse power, we cracked # 3 main on the the hemi and everything was in excellent shape, line honed by an excellent machinist, perfect clearances. perfect crank, and it was 4 bolt mains. it will really weaken a cast iron main cap!

musta been a bad cap. i've been doing this for years and never had a problem, of course i probably wasn't making near the horse power you were either. ALL the good after market blocks come with the threaded hole in the caps for easy removal.

i have a set of high nickle 4 bolts caps if you need them?

Just grab the cap with a large pair of Channel locks and wiggle side to side (Long ways) She'll pop right out.

-
Back