Removing nasty old trunk carpet...

-

Dusterina

Reaction score
So in the process of cleaning my 74 Duster I have to remove the carpet in the trunk. It is just too nasty. Period. No amount of fabreeze or professional grade carpet scrubbing will help this stuff. It's gotta go.

So I began pulling and tugging around the edges. It seems to be more severely glued down as I get nearer to the spare wheel indention in the center. This is some nasty old stuff.

Is there any ancient gluey substance remover that can help me get this nasty carpet out? I don't want to hurt the car underneath by choosing the wrong chemical. I've found a few holes in the trunk due to rust (That's a battle for another day.) So I want to go ahead and get all this junk out of my car so I can see what shape the trunk floor is in.

Otherwise I'll keep going at it with my poor tired fingers and a chisel. :) I think I can manage to get it all out by persistence and patience but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!
Erina

a decent floor covering supply house should have some glue-remover stuff. Powerbond made some killer solvent several years back. MEK might be a little strong but i'm fairly confident that it would break the bond on that glue. Be sure to get adequate ventilation unless you like a free high.

Some one glued the carpet down in my duster. I just chiseled it out. Still need to go over it now that the carpit is out with a grinding disk or wire wheel to get the rest of the glue off. What a mess.

I got back at it today and got about a quarter more of the trunk carpet removal done. I think I'll just stick to patience and persistence with a chisel. Mississippi summer heat insists on a little bit at a time and I listen! Should have it done by this weekend!!!

You could take goo gone or an adhesive remover and just let it soak in, should come up easily

I can't tell you how happy I am that my 74 Duster still has the old grey plaid rubber (?) trunk mat, tattered though it may be, it is not glued down.

-
Back