Removing paint from plastic

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Need to remove some serious layers of paint from a guage bezel. Any paint strippers available that won't ruin plastic.

Oldschoolcuda

I bought some from a hobby shop. It`ll take multiple applications to get several layers off but it was safe for plastic. I`ll see if I can find the name of the stuff and post it.

Found a modeling video that recommended soaking in super clean. Worked great. Got the super clean & a small storage bin at walmart. Filled the bin with the super clean & let the bezel soak overnight. Old paint was just about gone with no damage to plastic & just needed to brush lightly to get remaining crap in corners off. Here are a few before & after pics.

Oldschoolcuda

Wow!!! I wonder if the plastic platers will cut you a break if you strip the parts before you send them to them. They probably don't want us to know about this stuff.

:cheers:

that stuff worked great I usually use easy off oven cleaner but that stuff looks easier and safer { no chemical burns on your hands }

Here are some pics of the bezel after painting this morning. Not quite like having it done by a plastic plater but was cheap & turned out nice IMO.Trying to get one more done before weather turns cold again.

Oldschoolcuda

I think we need to pitch in and get you a new camera!! That one looks awful fuzzy!!

Yea it's not the best Dartguy but car parts come first. Got a small camcorder for christmas that hopefully my low tech butt can figure out.

Oldschoolcuda

I hear ya on the parts thing! My wife and i bought a Panasonic 40GB camcorder this year for Christmas too that I'm still trying to figure out!!! LOL

God, I love it when we can get together and help save each other money. Awesome, awesome lil trick!

Found a modeling video that recommended soaking in super clean. Worked great. Got the super clean & a small storage bin at walmart. Filled the bin with the super clean & let the bezel soak overnight. Old paint was just about gone with no damage to plastic & just needed to brush lightly to get remaining crap in corners off.
Oldschoolcuda

You can also use purple power or greased lightning, they contain lye, that's why they work. I've stripped lots of model kits using purple power in a tub. It won't hurt the plastic, no matter how long you leave it in.....I left a Challenger kit soaking for a month with no ill effects. I also restored my bezel in the '63 back in the summer, used Purple Power and a toothbrush to strip it.

However, the purple power will only strip paint or chrome, it will not strip the "clear coat" backing that the chrome attaches to (what leaves that yellow looking color after the chrome is off).

If you scuff sand and prime well, it shoudln't be a problem. As far as removing that coating, brake fluid is the only thing that I know of that will remove it, it shouldn't hurt the plastic, but I'd do a test spot first.

Hope that's helpful to someone

-
Back