removing pinion seal

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
My rear end pinion seal is leaking on my 7 1/4 how do i remove it or is it best to let a shop do it.tips or tricks on this one.

Just did this exact seal change a month ago. Three tools I used, screwdriver, hammer, vise grips. I just got behind the seal with a screwdriver and pryed around 360 until I could get ahold of the seal with the vise grips. Once I had the vise grips locked on, I brought out the ole hammer and poped it right out.

make sure you mark the pinion nut and shaft before removal of nut......That way you can gt it to the right spot, when you install nut......don not overtighten nut it will crush the crush sleave...if it has one

Thanks guys is there a torque spec for that nut.Sounds quite simple.
Nevermind the torque spec Snake, you need to set it right back to where it was when you removed it. Mark it before you take it apart, and tighten it right back up till the marks line up.

George

I am getting ready to change my pinion seal in my 8 3/4 2.76. I pulled the 3.55 (389) and am replacing it with a 2.76 (741) (is the original)- it's already out of the rear so What is the best way to secure the chunk to losten the nut ( the torque is aroung 400 + pounds) no/yes. My 3.55 is great but not for just bumping around town. Good idea about marking the nut location. Thanks
Dave

-
Back