Removing rear axle from 7.25

-

65valiantsignet

Reaction score
Has anyone removed an axle from a 7 1/4 rear? Do I need special tools, ie. slider hammer or it is a simple task? Do the brake lines need to be removed or can I leave them on the backing plate? Help...

At times the axle bearing can get stuck in the housing. You can use the brake drum as a slide hammer by putting it on backwards and then threading the lug nuts on only partially. Push the brake drum all of the way in then grab with both hands and pull hard as you can until it contacts the lug nuts.

The backing plate should stay on the housing.

Chuck

I do the brake drum thing. It also helps to counter balance the shaft so you don't damage the seal. I may have also kicked alternating sides, front then back, of the backing plate to break loose things.

does the 7 1/4 have C clip inside the rear housing...I know the 8 1/2 does..

No clips inside just slide out axles. Mine took quite a few pulls to come out, been in there 37 yrs.

Thanks BWDart. So far it seems to be easy from the threads. Tomorrow my brother arrives back from Florida with the bearings and seals for the axles and away I go pulling them out.

I thought I'd hop in and ask if this method is the same for my car (62 valiant signet).
Is there a c clip? I can't find specific information, or anyone that knows anywhere!
Do you really just yank the axle out after removing the...bolts that hold the cover plate on?
I'm new to fixing cars, so any info is WAY appreciated.

d62 valiant--- do you have new bearings/seal for your rear? you will find you have smaller bearings & much more difficult to find--- As for the repair --same as above-- no "c"clips--- service manual has the info. Lawrence

VDART - I do have the bearings, but now you've got me worried because they were easy to find...hahaha. The folks at napa and on the website lists the bearing I got as being for my car, but I have yet to see what's actually in there, so maybe they made a mistake?

I just found out my neighbor accross the street has a slide hammer, so I'm pretty happy about that, the brake drum thing wasn't working for me at all.

Pulled the axle out using the drums as a slide-hammer and they came very easily. Today I had a local transmission shop pull off the bearing for $20 in 5 minutes- after the local Chrysler dealership said they would take 1.5 hours to do it and charge $150. And they wonder why they are in trouble.....

Anyways, off to put her back in and hopefully cure that terrible rubbing noise.

-
Back