Removing Rear Glass

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
65 Barraucda
The service manual is kind of slim on information on this subject. Can this be done by the average guy? Any tips for success? If I do get it out do I absolutely need to replace the gasket?

As some may know I am in the process of priming my car and I know they window were NOT removed the last time it was painted. So I am looking to do it right.

Any tips for success?

Don't break the window. :D

Your'e going to love it. NOT
You have to push out on the glass from the inside while pulling the moulding toward the glass.
I start at the center of the glass at the top of the window and pull the rubber down and toward the back of the car while pushing out on the glass.
Constant pressure and peeling back the rubber to let the glass and rubber both come out at the same time.
Cringing is mandatory when pulling a window :D

Patience, and more than two hands helps a lot but only let someone else pull the rubber and not push the glass.
I don't trust other people to do any pushing.

As far as a new seal, you'll be glad you did if you get a new one.
The harder the seal is, the worse the job is, and I mean coming out too.

Just a suggestion, if your old seal is kinda hardened up then cut the seal out from around the window to take it out.
At leas this way you won't be buying a window AND a new seal.

Get one of those stupid looking wires that you see on tv, late at night, or in the hardware store for cutting tree limbs.

Make sure a new gasket is available before you destroy the original.
I clean and reuse the original gaskets without a problem.
How I get the glass out... First I use a plastic tool to slowly seperate the rubber gasket from the glass. I spray silicone in the gasket as I go to prevent the butyl from sticking it right back to the glass again. After I've been all the way around inside and out, I lay in the car and push the glass out with my feet/legs.
While I am very careful to push evenly across the top of a rear glass, I dont try so hard to save a used windshield. I would rather have a new windshield to look through anyway.

they are out there i think its just a good idea to replace it if they are hard then you can cut it less chance of well im not going to say it i got frount and rear wiyh locks 278.00 from firestone in GA and there a very high Qualty i was impressed they even came with the s/steel peace for the lock there on febay Paul

Justmopar.com has the pair for about 200 and change. I am not sure what I am going to do just yet but I know if I am going to do this right I need to remove the windows.

-
Back