removing rust bolts

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I need to replace the exhaust pipes from the manifold to the rear and they are really rusty. The pipes fell apart when I started to remove them to rebuild the transmission. Is there a good or preferred way to do this without braking the bolts? I used a nut buster product yesterday and thought I would spray them again today and maybe try to remove them in the morning.
While at the farmers market this morning I overheard a man who is working on a 55 corvette who said if you sprayed brake fluid on the old rusty bolts and let it sit for a couple of days you could remove any rusty bolts easily. Has any one tried that or have any other ideas?
as always, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Are they bolts or studs? If they are bolts I would just cut them and replace with stainless bolts.

PBlaster. It works great.

PBlaster. It works great.

X2, spray on let sit for about 8 hours spray again, let sit over night, sray one more time, should be good to go. Heat with a torch if needed (DO NOT HEAT AND SPRAY AT THE SAME TIME). Took my 67 Barracuda apart this way after it sat outside for 10-12 years (I live in NW Oregon to let you know how rusted the bolts were).

I guess they must be studs then, I wouldn't waste my time if they were straight through bolts.

Tapping on them while they are soaked to the bone also helps to get the penetrant in too.

Sorry I didn't get back on sooner.Its canning green bean time. These are the bolts that screw on the studs at the end off the manifold. They are really rusty,but hopfully I can remove them with out breaking the studs. That would make life a lot easier. Thanks for your help.

I use a homemade concoction that I think is as good or better than pb blaster. 50/50 mix of acetone and trans fluid. Acetone etches into cracks and trans fluid lubes. Try it sometime. Just be careful around paint.

I used PB Blaster and the bolts came out very easily. I sprayed and let it sit for several days. Didn't break anything. Thanks for your advice. Now I can start cleaning up the rusty underneath of the car.
thanks again

-
Back