Removing rust from nuts and bolts

-
Yeah.. If I need it now I wire wheel it. But for doing a bunch of bolts for later use the vinegar works well.
I wish I had a blast cabinet...

Yeah.. If I need it now I wire wheel it. But for doing a bunch of bolts for later use the vinegar works well.
I wish I had a blast cabinet...

If you already have air they are pretty cheap, like $100 at tractor supply, if you catch them on sale.

Actually I used a large gear clamp and went around the outside edge. Then I wrapped electric tape over that to cover the sharp edges and hold the tail in.

I do the same a gdrill in the pics above. Just need to be careful not to let any of em escape from the can.
I added a handle to my can, but other than that, it's the same deal.
I'm sure the other ways mentioned above also work, but bead blasting em is the way I do it.

You can soak them in vinegar overnight. It will remove surface rust. You may need to leave them in longer if they're rusted heavily. Rinse them with warm water and baking soda, then spray them with WD40

Vinegar sure does work! I tried to for the first time 2 nights ago. I had an ashtray that looked horrible and I thought was beyond saving. The inside was all rust. I soaked it inside a big coffee can full of apple cider vinegar (all I had, I know I should have used white) and the rust fell right off. Amazing!

Vinegar sure does work! I tried to for the first time 2 nights ago. I had an ashtray that looked horrible and I thought was beyond saving. The inside was all rust. I soaked it inside a big coffee can full of apple cider vinegar (all I had, I know I should have used white) and the rust fell right off. Amazing!
Apple cider vinegar is stronger than white and will do a nice job. I was just trying something different.

-
Back