Removing the console top on 4 speed Dart

-

chasb

Reaction score
Just bought a beautiful repro console top, console top door and ashtray door from B E & A.

Can anyone tell me how to get the existing console top off. I see the new top has long pins that will fit into holes in the console body. Do you just pry the old one off?

The door mounts onto the spring hinge. I can see that when I flip open the existing door.

Any help/pictures, etc would be appreciated.

Don't pry. I believe you have to remove the console to get to the nuts from underneath / take the whole console out.

Nice buy...new chrome yea......:-D

As Demon said, absolutely, do not pry. There are small self-threading nuts underneath on those "pins" you see. You can only get to them by removing the whole console.

By the way, what is this BE&A you speak of?

Jerry

As the others mentioned the console must come out first to get the top off. If you have an automatic, the shifter will knob will unscrew from the lever if you loosen the allen screw on the shifter knob. If it`s a 4 spd. just remove the knob. There are two screws inside the door and two screws on either side of the console in the front. Once the screws are removed you can shift the trans into N or D and lift the console up and out of its place. Once you flip it over you`ll see how the studs of the top are fed through the console base and secured. Take some pics when you`re done!

B E&A is a company that has a good selection of reproduction parts for
B-E & A body Mopars. I saw their goods at the Nationals and was impressed at the quality. Those console plates aren't cheap but they're super nice.
toolmanmike

Don't pry. I believe you have to remove the console to get to the nuts from underneath / take the whole console out.

Nice buy...new chrome yea......:-D

Thanks

As Demon said, absolutely, do not pry. There are small self-threading nuts underneath on those "pins" you see. You can only get to them by removing the whole console.

By the way, what is this BE&A you speak of?

http://www.beaparts.com/

Mike Ross is the owner-Nice guy

Jerry

As the others mentioned the console must come out first to get the top off. If you have an automatic, the shifter will knob will unscrew from the lever if you loosen the allen screw on the shifter knob. If it`s a 4 spd. just remove the knob. There are two screws inside the door and two screws on either side of the console in the front. Once the screws are removed you can shift the trans into N or D and lift the console up and out of its place. Once you flip it over you`ll see how the studs of the top are fed through the console base and secured. Take some pics when you`re done!

OK We'll give it a shot

B E&A is a company that has a good selection of reproduction parts for
B-E & A body Mopars. I saw their goods at the Nationals and was impressed at the quality. Those console plates aren't cheap but they're super nice.
toolmanmike

$ 582 for the top plate, the door, the ashtray door and a new boot, including shipping. Stuff was in stock and I had it in 2 days.

-
Back