Removing undercoating?

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
I know some of you have done this what is the best way to remove all the 35 year old undercoating and is it worth it?

Whether it's worth removing depends on what you're trying to accomplish (restoration, repairs, mods, cosmetic). If it is in sound condition you can leave it.

I removed all and will replace some when I'm done with my project. Used a propane torch (to soften), putty knife, and Goof-Off for the residue. Many other solvents will work for the residue. The job pretty much sucks no matter how you do it.

A good way I have found to get it off was to apply the spray on auto paint stripper or the type in the can and paint it on ( a little more messy that way). just wait a few minutes and it will become really soft and you can just scrap it all off.

electric heat gun and a putty knife to get it off the car and a cement block to scrub it off the putty knife. none fun any method. Good luck

I used a propane torch and Putty knife for the main part then sprayed WD40 penetrating fluid and wire brushed it. Wiped it down then heated fairly large areas at a time then wire brushed the remainder which comes off like a powder residue, so you just sweep it away, and all is completely clean and looks awesome. Wire brushes were hand brushes not drill type attachments. They clog up but you can buy packages of them at the dollar store and toss them when they are used up. I won't candy coat this what ever way you do it this job sucks, and you'll be thankfull when done!

I was cleaning the frame today getting ready to put in the frame connectors and noticed that the undercoating was coming off the trans. tunnel and so i started scraping the loose stuff off and got to thinking if it would be worth the hassle of cleaning it all off and painting it.

If its cold out your way, I found using a needle gun works by far the best because it will chip off, and alot less work then heating it up. but thats just my .02 cents.

Mopars, what is a "needle gun"?
Thanks,
C

To go from this, to this...you have to strip it off.

IMG_9139.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

Mopars, what is a "needle gun"?
Thanks,
C

A needle gun is sort of like an air chisel. It is straight (no "pistol grip" handle) has an end with about a 3/4" bundle of 1/8" or so diameter "needles" sticking out of it. We used them in factories I worked at to chip slag off of welds. Wear ear plugs.

i used an air chisel on my wheel wells when i was cleaning those off you just gotta be carefully to not dig into the metal. worked awesome and was WAY easier then a putty knife

That's Master Series Silver. It got a coat of the shiny chassis black after that. Two coats of each actually. Prep was a lot of work...scrub, wash, rinse...multiple times. Scrap, scrub...rinse, spray with degreaser...all kinds of stuff. Took probably 80 hours under the car in total to clean off all the oil spray, undercoating, dirt, etc. and apply the 4 coats of paint...all on my back looking up with a face shield and/or goggles.

I like the Master Series but on my daily driver van it's bleeding through, perhaps because it sees salt and heavy weather...not sure. I sure hope some rust doesn't bleed through on the Deviant project, that would suck.

wow that underside of the car looks amazing! The underside of that took some patience and persistence!

I used the propane torch and putty knife as well. Then I used a wire wheel to clean it up. For the wheels wells I am putting on POR-15 and then putting Gravitex on top of it. I used a wire wheel for the underside of the car then I am going to put Gravitex on the bottom as well.

I am still wondering if I should put the hemi orange over the gravitex or just leave it the black Gravitex that I purchased.

Craig

Here's what i acomplished today.
Wasn't to bad i just used a sharp chisel and an old wide blade screwdriver that i sharpened,scraped off pretty easy.
I'm gonna pull the spindle and upper control arm off tomorrow to get to the rest of it,just gotta figure out how to get out from around the shock tower.
297759098.jpg

The nooks and crannies are a ***** torch & scrape first then lots of long strand hand wire brushes and heat after that it will come eventually!

-
Back