Removing vicous fan

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
Gotta replace the water pump and it's been about 20 years since I installed the vicous fan. My problem is I can't figure out how to remove the fan before removing the water pump. As you can see in the pics, I've removed the 4 bolts which hold the fan to the clutch and also the four bolts which hold the (silver) shaft to the alternator pully. What am I missing?

Fan blade stays attached. With the four bolts out of the flange it's either corroded on or hung on a spacer button. Cover the radiator with some cardboard so you don't ding it and give the pulley a tap with a dead blow hammer.

Right, put the bolts back in that hold the fan to the clutch.

Wiggle the fan back and forth to get it off the waterpump shaft.

Also, you will have to unbolt the fan shroud off the radiator, and lift the shroud and the fan up and out together. I've never had any luck trying to get the clutch and fan out with the shroud still in place.

Did you loosen the tension on the fan belt? You do that at the alternator (1 locking bolt, one pivot bolt). The only thing holding it on now is the short "pilot" shaft on the water pump. When you reassemble, coat the pilot w/ a little anti-sieze for next time.

Thanks for the help. Even though the pilot shaft only sticks out about a 1/4" the shaft flange was on there pretty good. Thanks for the tip about the sheet of cardboard too. It's off now.

When I went to order a new water pump last weekend, the parts guy said there's a 6 or 8 vane pump and that it doesn't matter if the car has A/C or not so I needed to take the pump off before ordering the new one. It turns out it has an 8 vane and the 7 bolts all came off without any shearing.

As I understand, the 6-vane pump was on AC cars and the 8 vane on non-AC cars. Confused a lot of people here since why wouldn't you want the best coolant flow on all cars (and especially w/ AC). We finally figured out the difference was because AC and non-AC cars had different diameter pulleys. Might even be true. Anyway, 8-vanes would seem better.

-
Back