Repaint question

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
I'm using bc/cc and am not happy with some tiger striping on the hood and it has been clear coated. Is it ok to sand with 320 or 400 and reshoot the base and clear or would it be better to seal it before base/clear? Do I need to sand off all the clear coat first? I did talk to the local body shop and found out metalic takes a little different technique to shoot. Better late than never, the rest of the car looks great.

Anyhooo, what would you guys do?

How long has the paint been cured? How many coats of clear are on there? You can run into excessive film thickness which makes chipping more of a problem and peeling too. Ask me how I know.

I would hard block wet sand with 320. Let the hood sit in the sun for 24 hours to make sure the paint gasses out completely. Then sealer to get a uniform base before BC/CC. For a metallic I would finish sand to 600-800 before BC/CC.

I'm using 50% reduced epoxy as my sealer coat before BC/CC. Supposedly gives you better chip resistance.

Maybe some paint experts will chime in.

Good luck.

The clear has been on 5-6 days, two coats. I noticed the stripes when I was watching a gnat slowly drag himself through the second coat of clear (damn!). I decided to hold off on a third coat and ask around, I'll also try and reach my local guy but it's Sunday. I don't know why I didn't ask him last week, forgetful.

If you sealed it before the first shoot, no need to reseal. You are fineto just sand the clear with 320 or 400 and reshoot. Heck, you can even wetsand with 600 or higher to get it even smoother if you'd like.

flatlander, block 400/600 and reshoot.on the metallics, i like to try to go two directions with the spray pattern. then i widen the pattern on the gun and mist a coat to even the metallic actoss the panel. the biggest problem i think that you will have is color match. unless you blend into the fenders. it probably wont match. sorry. i'm not trying to bust on the job you've done, but did the roof do the same thing? i see the "modling" thing on the roof more than the hood. i'm only 5'6", so i know it is hard to reach, let alone see. sand your hood, wet to 600 and reshoot. you will be fine, IMHO. postcar.

I agree with the above. Be carefull not to break through the clear though. If you do you will need to prime the spots.

Thanks guys. I just got the experts opinion(wife) and she concurs, redo. I've sealer, base, and clear left over and think I'll start with a sealer coat just to get the shade right.

Yeah, I wished I were taller, step ladder helps.

If you have way more coats of base on the hood it will be could end up darker than the fenders. This happened with my shitty painter.

I suggested the sealer primer (for me the 50% reduced epoxy) to be on the safe side in case of breakthrough and to aid color/metallic matching. If this happens to me I'm going for overkill after my awful experience with my painter.

best of luck

-
Back