Repainting gauge cluster?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I took my Duster's gauge cluster out to freshen it up and I want to know if there's a good way to remove the brown paint over the fake woodgrain. I want to just paint it flat black and touch up the chrome parts. How did you guys do it?

I believe that some caustic paint removers are safe to use on plastics. I once heard that Easy-Off oven cleaner will safely take paint off plastic, but I have never tried it. Do not use solvent-based formulas because they will likely melt plastic.

If you have a question about the chemicals, test them on a section of the plastic on the reverse side where it will not be seen. If it softens the plastic, do not use it.

Chemicals like purple power, wesleys bleech-white, etc.. will remove the paint and the chrome. I think you will find the linear grain of the wood area is intrigual to the plastic cast so it will still show under any paint.

The "wood grain" is a brown paint wash over plate plastic. Even if you remove the "wood", the "grain" will still be there. I used appliques to change the look of the instrument cluster. In your case, I would recommend a black vinyl applique.

Here's a material source. http://www.hotrodworks.net/decal/dash.html

Attachments

• INS_5032dr.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6686s.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 238
Thanks guys for the replies and info, I'll try those chemicals. 2 Darts do you happen to have any pics of your instrument cluster in the car? That engine-turned stuff looks pretty cool, the carbon fiber seems like it might look OK too.

I'm in the middle of re-working the dash in the Demon. Here's a photo with the test fit. Since the picture was taken, I put better material on the cluster and the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_6547s.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 221
i simply used the following to get the results you see below. i got a rattle can of rustoleum 214085 flat brown at home depot. sprayed it in some places lightly, very lightly, in some placed used an artist brush. worked it down into the wood grain with a artist brush 2.00 for 29 at big lots. i then cut most of the hairs out of one till it looked more like a comb than a brush and used a flat black to lightly streak a darker wood grain in selected spots, once again very lightly where you can hardly see it. could not tell it from an orginal piece . here are some pics,:

Attachments

• hall family 338.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 191
  • hall family 343.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 191
  • hall family 344.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 200
What is the best way to restore the chrome striping around the bezels and cluster? What do you use to make it look new?

i am using chrome paint spray can into lid and brush on. i then put some clear over it. it will eventually scratch maybe, but easy to touch up. i plan on using spray wax instead of armor all when i clean the dash. paint is paint. so far it is taking a lot of ware with all the body work and wipeing off each time. no issues yet. looks good so far. (cheap and easy to touch up)

Cool! thanks, I am getting ready to restore a badly beaten cluster I bought out here. I will post pics as I progress on it.

What is the best way to restore the chrome striping around the bezels and cluster? What do you use to make it look new?

Chrome paint can make it look great but only chrome plating will make it look new.

The results from Alsa Killer Chrome justifies the price. I'm sure many others would be satisified. I stripped it back off and payed the price for replating.

Chrome paint can make it look great but only chrome plating will make it look new.

The results from Alsa Killer Chrome justifies the price. I'm sure many others would be satisified. I stripped it back off and payed the price for replating.

If you do not mind me asking, How much did it run you? And do you have contact info for this business?

If you do not mind me asking, How much did it run you? And do you have contact info for this business?

VEA-Reastorations Vic is a member here and does very nice work. What I payed to restomod a rallye bezel wouldn't be relevant to yours.

Wow...looks great!

Paul

i simply used the following to get the results you see below. i got a rattle can of rustoleum 214085 flat brown at home depot. sprayed it in some places lightly, very lightly, in some placed used an artist brush. worked it down into the wood grain with a artist brush 2.00 for 29 at big lots. i then cut most of the hairs out of one till it looked more like a comb than a brush and used a flat black to lightly streak a darker wood grain in selected spots, once again very lightly where you can hardly see it. could not tell it from an orginal piece . here are some pics,:

-
Back