repair rip in seat

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i have a 1 1/2 rip in drivers side seat what is a way to repair before it gets worse the rest of seats are in great condition i just want to head this problem off before it gets worse [it started as a 1/4 rip] anyone ever tried to fix this problem thanks bye the way this is iggy

VINYL?? i have used vinyl repair kits bought at a local auto parts store. i used a piece of color matched vinyl undernieth it then used the adhesive to bond the 2. i did this years ago and it still holds up. the rip was about an inch long.

Like dusterbd451 said, if you cut a piece larger than the damage, and slip it underneath, then glue it, it will hold very well, and if you can close the seam when glue is setting, it won't be too noticeable.

Grant

once the vynil gets dry and thin the cracks will be a repeating problem. Like sheet metal, about the only way to stop a crack is a round hole at each end.
Nobody likes the aftermarket slip covers but they will serve the purpose until a Legondary seat skin can be installed.
To get past the local cruise in or a resale I would fill the cracks with the gel type super glue. repeat until It looks acceptable ( try to recreate the grain ) and dye the entire area with a SEM aresol.

Gorrilla tape. Just kidding! I've never tried those vinyl repair kits, but if other members have had good luck with them, I'd try that route first! If you look at the time and work redfish put into his pass side mirror, you'll see that he and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum, he's first class all the way. I'm more of a gorrilla tape kind of guy.

I used the $13 kit from Napa; you have to mix the colors in the kit, but works good.Can't remember the name, but blue package, probably Permatex.

-
Back