Repairing the grille on a 67 Dart question

-
There isn't an easy way to do it. A liquid mask may work better than tape.
Regardless how you do it , it will likely turn out better than new because the factory never went to extremes with the detail painting of grilles.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Fortunately the grille on my dart is not nearly as bad as that pictured, but I'm sure will take the same level of detail and patience that I likely don't have. Might have to go find someone to do it for me who paints model cars for a living or something.

What do you mean by super chrome? Might be a lead to having a few pieces rechromed too...

Thanks again.

Kyle

might try to mask it with pinstriping tape

might try to mask it with pinstriping tape

That's what I did, 1/8" blue tape, worked great. probably took me an hour to mask all 3 pieces. I used SEM trim paint, it came out very good.

I brushed satin black Krylon over existing finish after feathering out all stone pits with grill on the bench. This took a bit of time. I would have used 1/8 masking, but thought that dimension is just a bit too wide for this application.

Also I had to remove some signs of mayhem around the outer leading edges of headlight escustions. This was accomplished by firstly working the metal with dolly and hammer, than filing the whoops and gouged areas flat and true. The next step was to sand the metal work starting with # 220 working up through the grits 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and Mother’s metal polish. Once all nice and shiny I cleared the repaired area with several light coats.

Sorry no before photos, trust me it was a mess…

007.jpg

006.jpg

002.jpg

I brushed satin black Krylon over existing finish after feathering out all stone pits with grill on the bench. This took a bit of time. I would have used 1/8 masking, but thought that dimension is just a bit too wide for this application.

Also I had to remove some signs of mayhem around the outer leading edges of headlight escustions. This was accomplished by firstly working the metal with dolly and hammer, than filing the whoops and gouged areas flat and true. The next step was to sand the metal work starting with # 220 working up through the grits 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and Mother’s metal polish. Once all nice and shiny I cleared the repaired area with several light coats.

Sorry no before photos, trust me it was a mess…

007.jpg

006.jpg

002.jpg

:prayer:

Oh wow, that's amazing..seriously. I'm afraid that if I tried to undent my headlight bezels that I'd do more damage than good.

Don't rush it. My body guy did the grill on my 69, took him a while but it cam eout looking a ton nicer than what it was.....a mess.....

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Fortunately the grille on my dart is not nearly as bad as that pictured, but I'm sure will take the same level of detail and patience that I likely don't have. Might have to go find someone to do it for me who paints model cars for a living or something.

What do you mean by super chrome? Might be a lead to having a few pieces rechromed too...

Thanks again.

Kyle

Super chrome is a powder coating. Not really chrome. She did a set of head light bezels for a guy and posted pics. I really liked the look ,so I sent her the grill , H.L. Bezels and hood chrome piece. When I get them back I'll post pictures. See Phoenix Powder coating specialties.

Zigs, I appreciate the explanation but Phoenix Powder Coating is in New Jersey and has absolutely nothing to do with my shop despite the obvious trademark / logo infringement. I do really appreciate your business though!!! :-D At least you shipped them to the right place. LOL

JohnnyRingo, if I can help you out with anything, feel free to give me a call.

Here's a shining example of the New Jersey place's work. Maybe you can see now why I'm so adamant about NOT being associated with them in any form or fashion ...

View attachment Phoenix Powder Coating's orange peel.jpg

-
Back