Replace Rims and Studs...for the correct combo

-

Mr. Bazoo

Mr. Bazoo
Reaction score
I have a 1974 Plymouth Duster with 20 inch rims, the car looks pretty good for me and I deftly don`t care about who thinks it`s ridiculous or wherever because enjoy the old school style, this way you don`t need do waist your time talking unnecessary things about my car ok?

For who is able to answer my question below I appreciated , you are helping me a lot !!!

I have 2 issues to fix !

1 - I need to replace the original studs for the long ones because I use wheels spacers adapters....the problem I don`t know what is the best way to put the new studs since they are long...some clues? Do I need to work in the rear axle? The car has Drum brakes ,,,

2 - I need to figure out what the best rims to put in the car....I want to replace the currently one , for other model with the correct backspacing for this way I remove the wheels spacers adapters...

Thanks for help !!!

Thick spacers, adapters, and long studs can lead to catastrophic failure. Best bet is to get wheels with the correct bolt pattern (no adapter needed) and the correct offset (no spacers needed). Assuming you do not have a 5 x 4" bolt pattern, there are hundreds of 20" wheels on the market that will bolt onto your car without spacers and/or adapters. If the car does have the 5 x 4" bolt patterns, change the hubs & axles to 5 x 4 1/2". You're going to need bigger brakes anyways, and this is a perfect opportunity to upgrade.

Thanks so much for all the information guys !!

I have two ways to solve this issue: Or I get another set of 20 inch rims with the correct off set and bolt pattern like 69_340_GTS told or I replace the entire set for 17 inchs in the front and 18 inchs in the rear. Correct rims with no spacers or adapters.

Good points about 20 inchs on my car: Just the car Visual and better for make curves!
Bad Points about 20 inch rims on my car: Wheels spacers adapters are not safe, I need to work in the rear axle for put long studs (other bad thing), low profile tires make you feel every single bump on the road and need to retighten the lugs between the drum brake and the adapters each 2 months.

Good points about 18 inchs in the Real and 17 in the front: I wont have any problem I have with my 20 inchs now...

Those rims here brand new at jegs are the best option I found

http://www.jegs.com/i/OE+Wheels/494/8181822/10002/-1

The 5.66" rear spacing is too much. On an 8" wheel, 4 3/4" or 5" is a lot closer to ideal for an 8" wheel on these A-bodies.

You can remove the brake assemblies and wheel cylinders. Longer replacement studs install through that hole where wheel cylinder mounts.

-
Back