Replace this tank?

-

StickweldinSteve

Reaction score
Dropped my gas tank today before I weld in my floor pans. I can see some bubbling and it looks like the p/o put some rubberized stuff all around the front but I can’t see any daylight or pinholes. The rest looks pretty good. Would you guys try to salvage this or buy a new one?

A654FF22-DEB1-4066-B12D-C3272D076F10.jpeg

C4761B8C-EAEB-41C5-98A9-2B29DF88DE0E.jpeg

37D9A35A-6FE4-4438-B0F2-91A046B2010C.jpeg

image.jpg

What's it out of?

How hard is it to get another,?

Make some plugs

Put 5 psi in it and see if it holds pressure

What's it out of?

How hard is it to get another,?

Make some plugs

Put 5 psi in it and see if it holds pressure
1974 Plymouth satellite Sebring plus. Not too hard but about 400 bucks. I’m not in any hurry. I’ll probably be welding for about a week in my spare time.I think it’d hold 5 psi fine, I’ll try that.Thanks man.

Shine a flash light on the inside. If there is no rust inside, run it. If there is rust inside replace it because that fine rust powder will cause havoc on your carb.
RockAuto has a tank for $322. Still expensive but better than $400.
That must be an oddball one year only tank. I wonder if you could get away with running an earlier tank and obmit some of the emission BS.

There was rust inside :(. Thanks for taking time to find that deal man I really appreciate it. I’ll look into my options for other tanks as well before I do buy it. The underside in that area has surface rust in a bunch of places and I’ll be wire brushing and painting it all before the new tank goes in. On a positive note though the space just above the tank looks like it just came from the factory.

Yeah those tar pads really did well to protect the sheet metal above the tank. Too bad the rest of the car wasn't wrapped in it :)

That tank is CR21A and is one of the more expensive ones. for 74-76 B-Body only. keep your old fuel sender locking ring (if you're replacing that too) as aftermarket are crap.

-
Back