Replaced failed strutrod poly-bushing today - Took video of working suspension

-
The K-member is not reinforced at all unfortunatly.
It was nicely powder coated when I bought the car.
I just beefed up the steering mount pad which gave a slight noticable improvement.

I might be looking into welding some gussets to the flanges in the area of the swaybar mounts.

It's a Hellwig swaybar.
Here it is some 5 years ago when it was brand new and just installed;

View attachment 1715085295

Thought that sway bar looked familiar! :D

The steering box reinforcement is a great addition, but I'm sure you know there's some additional stiffness to be gained by doing the full seam welding treatment. On mine I also gusseted the LCA pin mounts. I didn't gusset the strut rod mounts, just because I use adjustable strut rods and they use a large metal pillow blocks on both sides of the K frame to begin with, already spreading the load over a larger surface area than stock.

Your video does get me thinking though about those sway bar mounts. The seam welding probably helps some, but there's nothing really supporting that flange where they mount.

Ugh. First, none of the bushings are "plastic". None of them. There are polyurethane bushings, polygraphite bushings, Delrin bushings, and of course the OE rubber bushings that I'm aware of. None of those are "plastic", and they all have different properties in regard to compressibility, durability, and elasticity. If you can't tell the difference between polyurethane and "plastic", you're probably not too well versed on their different properties either.

Second, I don't think you have a good idea of what torsional or compression forces are as they relate to the suspension. Because you don't want torsional resistance in any of your suspension bushings, it's a bad thing. Torsional resistance in the LCA bushings slows your suspensions response and keeps your suspension from moving freely. Same for the sway bars. And since polyurethane has higher a compression resistance than rubber by a long shot, I don't really understand at all what you're trying to say. The best case scenario at the sway bar bushings and the LCA bushings is the respective suspension parts moving without having the bushings resist or slow their movement. Now, harder bushings will transmit more suspension forces to the chassis and can add some harshness to the ride quality, but if your shocks and torsion bars are well matched that shouldn't be an issue. The softer the bushings are the more sluggish and vague the suspension response will be. And the rubber bushings are not more durable. They're more elastic, but they're softer, less resistance to cuts and tearing than the poly bushings are (just try and cut up a set of poly bushings!) That doesn't mean the poly bushings can't be damaged, but rubber bushings of the same shape would be damaged even faster. The strut rod bushings though are not the same shape, and you do have to consider the different properties of the different materials in those situations. Which I don't think is always done by the manufacturers, and why you get generic parts. Which is why I especially don't like the poly strut rod bushings that are out there, because they're generic for the whole A-body year range, which makes them the wrong size for at least half of the year range, if not everything...

Delrin and Polyurethane are plastics, no doubt. I've been running Polyurethane bushings since they came out. I will never run Polyurethane on the lower control arm pins or strut rods. That is race car stuff in my mind, whether you run them on the street or just at the track. For me it has more to do with shock and vibration, all slamming into your K Frame constantly. I also do not like the lower control arm sliding forward when I back up. My strut rods are tight, the strut rod does not have enough leverage to keep it in position at the angle it is mounted. I have had all kinds of Mopar's all my life and have never seen a completely failed LCA bushing. I also don't use cheap or soft stock bushings. Typically, heavy duty MOOG stuff.

Delrin and Polyurethane are plastics, no doubt. I've been running Polyurethane bushings since they came out. I will never run Polyurethane on the lower control arm pins or strut rods. That is race car stuff in my mind, whether you run them on the street or just at the track. For me it has more to do with shock and vibration, all slamming into your K Frame constantly. I also do not like the lower control arm sliding forward when I back up. My strut rods are tight, the strut rod does not have enough leverage to keep it in position at the angle it is mounted. I have had all kinds of Mopar's all my life and have never seen a completely failed LCA bushing. I also don't use cheap or soft stock bushings. Typically, heavy duty MOOG stuff.

I put "plastic" in quotes for this exact reason. Yes, Delrin is a type of plastic. Polyurethane is a type of plastic. Just like steel is a type of metal. But just like you don't use "metal" interchangeably when you mean steel, it's not right to just call polyurethane "plastic" - it's not the same stuff as your shopping bag or kids action figures. Do you refer to connecting rods as metal? How about cylinder heads? "Give me a set of those metal cylinder heads" No. You specify the type of metal, because there's more than one. Same idea. They're not just plastic, they're a specific kind with specific properties.

If there's any space for the LCA to move forward on the pin with poly bushings, they've been installed incorrectly. The bushing should be against the shoulder of the LCA pin, with nowhere to go. That's how they're supposed to be installed. I feel like we've had this conversation before.

See the space between the bushing and the shoulder of the pin? No? It's because there's no space there. This is how it should look. Agree to disagree or whatever, but if this isn't how the poly LCA bushing looks when it's installed it's incorrect. The LCA can't move forward unless it compresses the bushing. This is a poly bushing, so, it might compress slightly, but it won't move even as much as a stock LCA will when it compresses the rubber bushings in the LCA and strut rod. The strut rod, if it's the right length, will keep it from sliding back on the pin. That's why I use adjustable strut rods with poly bushings, because the stock length strut rods aren't good enough for that. This is where I feel the poly bushings get a bad rap, improper installation. They have to fit tight to the outer shell. Same on the inner shell, there should be no play and the bushings should not slide easily into or out of the original outer shell. It doesn't take a press, but it should take a lot of grease and you should have to lean on them a bit to install the bushings into the outer shells once you've added the pins. Also why I use greaseable LCA pins that don't have an inner shell, they're sized better for the poly bushings and you can add grease later as needed, so no poly squeak. But since the factory tolerances on the shells wasn't great, the poly bushings don't always fit the old shells properly. If they don't, you will have issues, and its not because of the bushing. It's the install not being correct from the beginning.

IMG_2790_zpsj1t3mbyg.jpg

As far as the failed LCA bushings, I don't know how you haven't seen one. I've seen several just on my own cars. As I said earlier, the LCA bushings on my EL5 GT were so bad the inner shell on the pin was wearing against the outer shell in the LCA. The LCA literally fell off when I pulled the torsion bar on the passenger side of that car. My Duster wasn't any better, one LCA just fell off the pin, on the other the pin came with the LCA but I just pulled the pin out of the bushing by hand. Both were wearing into the shells. Those were ~80k and ~90k original mile cars. The original bushings on my Challenger weren't that bad, but they were toast. Same for the one's on my '71 Satellite. Yes, they're there, but they'll get replaced before I drive the car further than around the block. So I dunno how half of the stock LCA bushings I've encountered have been failed, while none of the ones you've seen have. Good luck I guess.

Moog isn't any better than the stock stuff either. Nowadays it's mostly Chinese made stuff anyway. One of the Moog bushings that came in my CAP tubular lower control arms failed in under 50k miles. Of course, so did one of the LCA's, but that was crappy CAP welding. And it was the other side from the one that broke.

Here you go, failed stock LCA bushings.

From my Duster. Yeah, these are bad. No, I didn't press the pins out. Arrows show where the pins were riding on the shells. My Dart had one like this too, but it was fixed and reinstalled. I swapped these for a set with sway bar tabs, so no work was done on them.
IMG_4497.JPG

This is an early style arm I bought (early sway bar tab). Hard to tell, but the pin is totally crooked. Not entirely fair, I don't know the history on this arm. But that bushing has failed.
IMG_4498.JPG

And here's the tubular LCA I ran on my Challenger for ~50k miles. Purchased brand new, new MOOG bushing at time of install. Tightened with weight on the suspension, etc. The other side was ok. This one, not so much. Both on the same car, both installed and treated the same way. So much for Moog quality.
IMG_4501.JPG

They were installed correctly, we may have had the conversation, I also feel. I have used both Delrin and Polyurethane as an engineer, not bad for the intended usage. Most of my stuff was "original", so maybe the parts were better or installed correctly from the factory? Anyway, you are correct in what you say, but at this time I still put the plastic bushings in the "not for my street car" category. I'm afraid you are probably right about available parts, even MOOG. I do have a stash of old heavy duty parts, since our parts are never easy to get.

Great info here, 72bluNblu.
Looks like a future rebuild is in my future, this time i'll do it right............
Where do you get your parts from?

The Delrin LCA bushings are made by Peter Bergman, Bergman Autocraft. Also known as GmachineDartGT here. I know he's been using the Delrin LCA bushings for years.

The poly bushings I've used in the past were just Prothane Motion Control 4-205-BL. They're just the bushing, no shells, and they're like $12 from summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-4-205-bl/overview/year/1974/make/plymouth/model/duster That's the set I just pulled out of my Duster that looked brand new after 12k miles. I think I have about 14k miles on the set in my Challenger. The downside is, they have to fit that outer shell. Hotchkis makes a set that looks identical, not sure if they actually are the same or not. Those cost $29. I use that style with a greaseable LCA pin I get from Firm Feel. Although I think PST and Hotchkis sell them as well. Lots of poly grease and adjustable strut rods are the way to go with those bushings.

Proforged is making a poly LCA bushing now that has inner and outer shells installed already, just like the originals. Not sure if they use the same friction fit on the bushings material. But they'd install just like the originals, and you could use the original LCA pins. I have a set, haven't used them. Was just curious. They can't be greased, so, if they aren't a friction fit like the originals they might have an issue with squeaking. But I don't know, haven't run them.

Anyway, long answer. The short answer is that I source my suspension parts from everywhere. Bergman Autocraft, Firm Feel, Hotchkis, QA1, Dr. Diff, etc. I cherry pick from everybody. I buy most of it through Summit Racing, except the stuff from Peter and Cass, their stuff comes straight from their websites.

-
Back