Replacement factory or O.E. cooling fan?

-

nostalgia6883

Reaction score
Hello, How's everyone? I have a cooling fan question?I'm rearin` to get my 68 cuda` back on the road this spring/summer and I practically have everything needed to do so, except I'm having difficulty trying to locate a factory replacement or OE spec cooling fan blade.The car is equipped with a 318 engine and a factory shroud mounted to the radiator(18 inch,6 blade? I'm assuming?).I've seen Advance Auto has a selection of Durale/flexalite fans but was just what you guys/gals recommend as far as where to go to get one or if anyone is using a durale/flexilite fan without issues.I appreciate it.

If you have the shroud and cant find a factory fan you can use a stainless flex fan,6 blade from flexalite or other. Make sure the fan is into the shroud by at least an inch or so(different spacer lengths). This fan worked well for me for years 67 cuda fb 440 4-speed. Watch it though its sharp and can be hard on fingers. I have first hand experience with this.

I have a factory 318 5 blade fan if you need it, but I ran the stock shroud on a 440 magnum with a stainless flex and it cooled just fine.
I think it was a little noisier though.

PM me if you need this OEM one.

If you have the shroud and cant find a factory fan you can use a stainless flex fan,6 blade from flexalite or other. Make sure the fan is into the shroud by at least an inch or so(different spacer lengths). This fan worked well for me for years 67 cuda fb 440 4-speed. Watch it though its sharp and can be hard on fingers. I have first hand experience with this.

Excellent information ty.I wasn't sure of the how far in the fan needs to be into the shroud,this is the first time i will running the car with one ;)Good looking out on the fan sharpness warning i'm prone to accidents like this,lol.

I have a factory 318 5 blade fan if you need it, but I ran the stock shroud on a 440 magnum with a stainless flex and it cooled just fine.
I think it was a little noisier though.

PM me if you need this OEM one.

Is this fan you talk of a Vicious style fan?I tried to see if one was available via Mancini Racing and the site says out of stock. :( Would it be to much to ask if you can send me some pics and price including shipping to 18610?My email address is [email protected] Thanks a bunch.

Can't find a Viscous fan? That would be my vote to use. Excellent unit.

I have to agree with rumble on this if you can do it.
There is/was a part number floating around here for a Volvo? that fit.

If you need the fan I have you can have it for the shipping, but if it were my choice I'd go with the viscous style.
More upper end power with a viscous also, due to it freewheeling when not needed.

I'll email you a pic of the one I have anyway.

I have to agree with rumble on this if you can do it.
There is/was a part number floating around here for a Volvo? that fit.

If you need the fan I have you can have it for the shipping, but if it were my choice I'd go with the viscous style.
More upper end power with a viscous also, due to it freewheeling when not needed.

I'll email you a pic of the one I have anyway.

Ok great thanks! I'll keep in touch.

I personally don't like flex fans because they flatten out at higher rpm and don't move air. Not want you need at slow speeds trying to cool a hot engine.

Clutch fans are a good choice. There are different fans used across Dakota's, trucks and Fifth Avenues so you may be able to conjure something up with a visit to the junkyard. I'm running a Fifth Avenue clutch fan on my Dart.

I personally don't like flex fans because they flatten out at higher rpm and don't move air. Not want you need at slow speeds trying to cool a hot engine.

Clutch fans are a good choice. There are different fans used across Dakota's, trucks and Fifth Avenues so you may be able to conjure something up with a visit to the junkyard. I'm running a Fifth Avenue clutch fan on my Dart.

Agreed flex fans aren't the best choice.That's what I'm currently trying to get away from.Whats going to end up happening is I'm just going to get a factory 6 blade with a clutch all new and look for a vicious setup probably used somewhere down the line.

-
Back