Replacement fuel sender problems explained

-

TylerW

Reaction score
So I have read various posts about people having issues where the fuel gauge reads improperly after replacing the sending unit.

I have my own issues with this...my gauge reads full when the tank was full, then drops from full to near empty in the space of 70 miles. When the gauge indicated empty, there would be about 7 gallons remaining. It's not an IVR issue.

I decided to pull the sender( a 6mo old Spectre) and measure it with a meter and compare the results with the published range straight out of the Chrysler service manual.

The answer is that the cheap junk aftermarket sender is out of calibration. At full it's close, at empty it's close, but in between it's NOT even close.

I've seen statements made regarding linear vs. not linear, and I understand that but the simple fact remains that an aftermarket replacement sender should work electrically and physically as the original did. No but's about it.

Here's a video showing my testing. If anyone knows for fact how to fix this or knows a sending unit other than Spectre junk, feel free to contribute.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLyKGXAcjCY&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Actually this has already been explained. What we need is "the fix"

I don't have the time, the hardware, or the money to "jig up" fuel tanks and senders for testing.

(Actually I do have a parts car, and if I was younger and had more suds, I might just use that.)

About all I know to advise, is to adjust the arm for a good empty reading, or rebuild the new arm to a longer length and adjust from there. If the range is too short, you might be able to add a series resistor.

My own car, MT is "OK" but full comes "early." so at least once it gets to say, 1/4 I know I'm on short ground

I have been working with adding resistance in series to the meter and in parallel to the meter. Soon I am going to try both.

-
Back