Replacement tractor

-

jaws

I put the fun in dysfunctional
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Going to upgrade from my 53 super M farmall. Anyone have a Kubota, or Kioti? Looking at a New 35-40 horse diesel.

Whatever you buy, take a magnet to check what is steel or aluminum. Most, if not all tractors below 50 HP are foreign imports. I forget who makes the smaller John Deere tractors, but some have cast aluminum casings where the 3 point hitch hooks up. They are easily busted while using the scrape blade. My little toy tractor is a TYM, which is pretty much the same thing as a Mahindra. It's a hydrostatic drive, and if I had it to do over I would have gotten a shuttle shift.

Wish I knew!! I have a little Farmall 100 (Super A) with a loader. It's really geared way to fast for what I use it for, it's only 2wd of course, and worst thing is no power steering, and the steering linkage would be difficult to add it.

Got a hold of a Ford/New Holland 3415 used. 4 cyl diesel, 12 speed manual shuttle shift, 3 reverse gears,

Power steering, differential lock, easy push clutch, live pto for running attachments like mowers and snow blowers, live hydraulics, 3 point hitch. 2 wheel drive. All the good stuff that makes it a useful tractor. Good running diesel engine. Have not had to open anything up yet, fortunately. Put on a new set of turf tires and painted the wheels white.

Like it a lot, fun to drive, easy on and off step up step through platform, 45 hp. Use it for mowing, with 80" wide finishing mower.

I have a 49 Ford 8N and it does everything I could ever ask and then some. No way in HELL would I ever buy a non American tractor. I would stick with something older and American.

New Holland around here are spendy, 41k for a comparable tractor. Getting to old to be climbing around on and with no power steering it's a real workout moving 1200 pound hay bails.

8Ns live forever, easy to work on too.

Although the new generation of small tractors are nice with the hydrostatic drive transmissions. Big Big bucks on those brand new small compact tractors, crazy what they cost.

New Holland around here are spendy, 41k for a comparable tractor. Getting to old to be climbing around on and with no power steering it's a real workout moving 1200 pound hay bails.

Yeah that 41k for a comparible Ford/New Holland is a lot of coin. Motivates me when I find something I can work with in my price range, and do a liitle fixin' to.

I found this Ford/Newholland 3415 from the local used Turf Tractor Dealer here in Florida for 2200 bucks, cleaned it up, serviced it out, and put on new tires.

They had some Kabotas come in to from the golf courses in the state, they were going like 3,500 to 5k. Used is used of course, and a person better know what you are looking at.

A buddy was coming to Florida to vacation for a month with his 3/4 ton truck, so he hauled it back to MN for me. That's a good buddy . . .

20200306_213846.jpg

Wanna learn about kubotas? Go to orangetractortalks.com.
Lots of members with old and new. One guy builds accessories for them,steps,grab handles and tool box mounts.
I have an old sub compact kubota, handiest thing around the yard.

Yeah that 41k for a comparible Ford/New Holland is a lot of coin. Motivates me when I find something I can work with in my price range, and do a liitle fixin' to.

I found this Ford/Newholland 3415 from the local used Turf Tractor Dealer here in Florida for 2200 bucks, cleaned it up, serviced it out, and put on new tires.

They had some Kabotas come in to from the golf courses in the state, they were going like 3,500 to 5k. Used is used of course, and a person better know what you are looking at.

A buddy was coming to Florida to vacation for a month with his 3/4 ton truck, so he hauled it back to MN for me. That's a good buddy . . .

View attachment 1715482747

Here is the 3415 back in MN, serviced out and cleaned up a bit, ready to go to work.

Kind of fun like our cars, shaping things up so you can use them.

20200306_220048.jpg

Going to upgrade from my 53 super M farmall. Anyone have a Kubota, or Kioti? Looking at a New 35-40 horse diesel.

Lawn & Turf Equipment Pros, here in Lake Placid Florida just sold this 2005 Kubota L3830, they ship everywhere. 3900.00, not a bad price.

20200306_222822.jpg

They get the turf tractors in from time to time being they work with all the golf courses. Check back as they turn over their inventories quick and other stuff always coming in. It's all used. Nice people to deal with.

I’m looking for one with a cab, so I can be warm when digging out when it snows.

Wanna learn about kubotas? Go to orangetractortalks.com.
Lots of members with old and new. One guy builds accessories for them,steps,grab handles and tool box mounts.
I have an old sub compact kubota, handiest thing around the yard.

Yeah Kubota makes a dang good, reliable diesel engine.

I have a little kubota. I love it. It will mow the yard, push brush, spread gravel, dig out a stump, lift heavy stuff, till the garden... whatever. The hydrastat and diesel engine work great.

I want to see a Kubota or Yanmar or Mahindra or "whatever else" import after 71 years.

If my kubota still runs after 71 years all the plastic body crap will be gone. Its a 2007 model and ive managed to crack or break most of it. Im kinda hard on it, clearing brush and timber... but so far it keeps plugging along

I want to see a Kubota or Yanmar or Mahindra or "whatever else" import after 71 years.

Yanmar is what they call the "Gray Market" of tractors, they are pretty cheesey. Like big exhaust clamps that hold the rear wheel hubs to the drive axles, coming loose all the time. Looks unsafe, came close to getting one of those, but luckily Not.

been a long time since i got off the farm,... but a good farmall 140 and a massy fergerson 135 would do all we needed to bring a crop of bacca in and keep up the rest the farm!!

Kubota B7610
Homemade cab.
Great snow mover with the cab and heater.
Hydrostatic is a big plus if blowing snow.
It gets a loader in the summer and I have several 3 point implements.
Very reliable.

cab build:

0537D2A6-1728-4884-8614-FD3E4D60435D.jpeg

been a long time since i got off the farm,... but a good farmall 140 and a massy fergerson 135 would do all we needed to bring a crop of bacca in and keep up the rest the farm!!

Massey 135 yeah cool.

My neighbor and I got ahold of this Massey 135 locally here in Florida for grading the gravel road out front of our properties.

Diesel, good work horse, just the right size for the box blade on the back.

20200307_013932.jpg

Kubota B7610
Homemade cab.
Great snow mover with the cab and heater.
Hydrostatic is a big plus if blowing snow.
It gets a loader in the summer and I have several 3 point implements.
Very reliable.

cab build:

View attachment 1715482845

Yes, nice job on building up that cab, no easy task.

Nice video you put together about it too.

Sorry LOLOL Just cannot resist

Gramps and Dad with the Model A "Doodle Bug". Added a series transmission, Diamond T or IHC? rear axle This was around 46-50, I may not have been born yet (48). Gramps would have been around 50 (born 1900) so way younger here than I am now. Dad would have been ? early-mid 20's

img033cs.jpg

Years later, Gramps and Gramma with the mower. Dad later used this same mower on the place, behind the "Farmall Regular. After we moved to the place, Dad built a small blade for the Doodle Bug. The thing made a lot of noise and actually did very little LOL

img034cs.jpg

Next the home made "blue tractor" made from a junk power unit off an early grader. 36-ish Ford front end (cable brakes) and home made plow and winch lift using a steering box. That same blade would be on more tractors. This thing had a flattie six and blew a rod, ending it's "career." Dad used to say "it took the whole back forty" to turn it around. Original snapshot says 1959. This is my little brother and "formerly known as my sister" I would have been 11
img002cs.jpg

The Farmall Regular bought when I was maybe ? 12, from my Great Uncles. Dad added a flywheel between the bell and trans, and starter, gen, lights, and belt driven hydraulics, the same blade and arms from a bove graced it for many years. Here it's on the trailer, sold after Dad died. I DROVE it onto the trailer, around ??03 I think. You can just see the buzz saw Dad built behind it. The big trangulated channel and huge steel tube under the belly, was for the arms of the plow, same one as off the blue tractor.

You had to be a "man" to operate this thing. Some of our fields were rough, and if you hit a ditch at angle, the front end would take the wheel away. Both Dad and I suffered injuries "losing" the wheel. I used to "skootch" up and clamp my thighs around the wheel, but once it banged my elbow when it got away.

img005cs.jpg

Near the time Dad died, he bought this Oliver because it had power steering. He adapted the same old blade, now much the worse for wear, to the hoist. That's me about 2000 after Dad died, plowing out Mom. I would have been about 52. This was a terrible tractor. Not heavy enough in the rear for the front bucket, it had fluid filled tires, and I welded up a frame to support several sections of old sidewalk, stacked like books on a shelf. It was an "industrial" tractor and geared WAY too fast

img025cs.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, but, I doubt a Case or a John Deer from today will be around in 70 years ether. Just not built to the same standards.

-
Back