Replacing 1963 Valiant starter

-

UnicronHound

No it's not uniCORN.
Reaction score
Hey there, I have a 1963 Valiant sedan base model with the 170 engine, my starter is just fine, but I want to switch it with a more powerful one, does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hmmm, interesting. Why would you want a "more powerful" starter? Maybe it's possible yours is not getting full voltage from the battery which means you have a voltage drop somewhere due to resistance in the wiring or connections. Check the big fat red wire's connections all the way from the battery to the starter. Make sure they're all tight and clean. Also check the black ground wire on the battery and make sure it's grounded properly to the engine. You can verify voltage drop (or not) by using a voltmeter from the center of the + battery post to the starter post. Check for a voltage drop while someone else cranks it. It should be less than .5VDC.

If it's still not working right you may have a dragging starter in which case you should simply replace it.

Yes, I have a V6 dodge Dakota starter on my 1966 170/6, some folks call it a mini starter, it spins faster and most any 318, 360 starter will fit.

If not I hope a good slant 6 tec will jump in and give us correct info
and what year/model starters this don't fit/work..

Let me do some searching and see what year model my starter is I put on 3 years ago, and welcome to this great site :cheers:

Attachments

• Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20032.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 230
Memike.. thank you for the info on the starter! I was looking at this in the light of space conservancy and reduction of weight. I was not interested in getting a " High Performance" mini-starter and this will do JUST fine!
Thanks again!

Glad I could be of help here, it's good to know I can be helpful with some tec stuff :cheers:

I put a mini-starter from a Dodge Magnum engine truck (90's) on my 273. I took the cable too so no issues, which gives extra +12V taps. Cost ~$15 at PickNPull. Should fit all 60's engines. I will put on my 225 and 383 next time I need one. You can get rebuilt ones for ~$45 on ebay (I did), but some say a used factory one is better.

Thanks to everyone that replied, I'm going down to Blacey's some time this week. The reason I'm temporarily replacing mine is because mine is going sluggish when it turns the flywheel, I'm just afraid it's going to the the thing. With an luck, I'll have my car cranking normally but the weekend.

-
Back