Replacing external Alternator with internal Alternator questions

-

ckdezert

Reaction score
So replacing my 60 amp external reg alternator with a 100 amp internal alternator.Both alternators are one wire hook up.What do I do with the wires from and to the regulator?Running all MSD ignition if that makes any difference.

Have you upgraded the wiring IE done the MAD mod and bypassed the ammeter? If they are both "one wire" they you should have no regulator wires?? to deal with

I don't understand what you are saying, you say "both are one wire hook up" but you are talking about a regulator.

If the old one IS external regulator, you basically just "safe" those wires off. do whatever you want cut them, tape them, etc.

Do NOT put a one wire, and especially a "big amp" alternator on "stock" wiring harnesses.

running a 10 gage wire from alternator to hot side of battery.The oem wire (black) goes to amp meter on dash,but there are wires to the external regulator. So the wires from the external reg go to any of the dash power or any other power source?

10 gage is NO WHERE near large enough for a 100 A. No 6 minimum no 4 would be better.

Or you could parallel about 3 no 10 I guess

What about the wires? If you are sure you never need them cut the connector and safely tape them and tuck them away. The blue alternator field wire, and the blue regulator connector wire has switched 12V "ignition run" on it.

will get larger gage wire.Was wrong about altanator.Has one hot hook up than one ground hook up and one wire that goes to the external reg on the fire wall.The wire that goes to the reg is the one not sure what to do with.Thanks for all the input.

Can you post a photo, a link? Sometimes you guys throw around terms, "one wire" and I assume. You don't want to be cutting up your harness !!!! and find out you should not have.

-
Back