Replacing filler neck to tank gasket on 64 dart

-

chinze57

Push Button tranny and a Slant 6 that'll never die
Reaction score
As the title indicates, I’m trying to replace the gasket that connect my filler neck to my fuel tank on my 64 Dart. I’ve got a leak that happens when the tank is More than ~3/4 full. It’s leaking right where the gasket is and then dribbles off and makes a puddle. On top of being dangerous, it’s a waste of money and leads to me going to the gas station frequently since i can’t actually fill it up and it provides a place for evaporated fuel to exit.

I’ve never removed a gas tank or anything of that nature and so I’m not sure of how to go about this. Do I need to remove the tank or can I do all of this after I remove the neck?

I messed with mine inside the trunk if I remember correctly. New rubber seal or reusing the old one? Brake fluid will swell the old seal and make it softer again. (old brake fluid did anyway)

I messed with mine inside the trunk if I remember correctly. New rubber seal or reusing the old one? Brake fluid will swell the old seal and make it softer again. (old brake fluid did anyway)

I’ve got a brand new gasket for the tank to filler neck. I do not have a new neck to quarter panel seal or new neck to trunk floor seal as both seem to be in good shape

It's actually pretty easy to drop the tank. That might be a good idea just to look at things on your 55 year old car.
I instslled a new tank for my 64 Valiant when I got it back on the road 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure I left the filler neck attached to the quarter panel, maybe just loosened the screws a little.
I bought my tank, filter sock, pipe grommet, etc. From Vans Auto. Best prices on fuel system parts around. Just another thing i won't ever have to worry about.

If you don't drop the tank, you need to remove the filler neck completely. Or you can drop the tank and leave the filler neck hanging, or remove both (probably easiest in the long run, and lets you inspect everything for condition problems). Consider: maybe it's not the seal, it could be rust holes in the top of the tank — that would be much more common. The seal is pretty robust — I wouldn't expect it to go bad if the trunk floor seal looks good.

If you don't drop the tank, you need to remove the filler neck completely. Or you can drop the tank and leave the filler neck hanging, or remove both (probably easiest in the long run, and lets you inspect everything for condition problems). Consider: maybe it's not the seal, it could be rust holes in the top of the tank — that would be much more common. The seal is pretty robust — I wouldn't expect it to go bad if the trunk floor seal looks good.
I’m afraid it’ll be some rust holes. Given the leak seems to be originating around where the filler neck joins, I’m hoping it’s just the seal.

What’s the process for removing the tank? I assume I need to disconnect the fuel sender unit, the fuel line, anything else?

I think I installed the tank and then the filler. It seemed easier to do if I remember correctly. Damn, I should have taken pictures and wrote notes. That was now 15 years ago.

-
Back