Replacing fuel pump...gasket sealant?

-

B-i-n-g-o

Reaction score
All,

Finally digging into Mabel...63 Valiant 170 /6. Replacing fuel system, and it's been a while since I've done much besides maintenance. I got a new fuel pump, and it doesn't say anything about gasket sealant, just gasket and tighten bolts to specs. Not sure if materials changed, is sealant not a thing on gaskets any more, or just fuel pump, or they just didn't say anything, because everybody knows to do it?

Thanks,
Steve

i like to use hi-tack on fuel pump gaskets. helps keep them in place when trying to situate the pump arm and fumble the bolts in there.

That's kinda like the Indian head ain't it?
yeah it's similar. hi-tack doesn't cure hard though and has more resistance to a wider range of fluids and temperature. it also comes in a spray can which is handy.

their aviation gasket sealant #3 and "super 300" work very well too for cut gaskets in applications likes this.

yeah it's similar. hi-tack doesn't cure hard though and has more resistance to a wider range of fluids and temperature. it also comes in a spray can which is handy.

their aviation gasket sealant #3 and "super 300" work very well too for cut gaskets in applications likes this.
I've used the spray copper before I've had real good luck with that! As far as RTV goes, the only thing I will use is "the right stuff" I will not touch nothing else I don't even know why, 35 years ago, I even bought my first tube of that blue crap, all that stuff ever done is give me Grief!

Indian head on the gasket and stick it on the pump. Easier clean up on the block when you replace the pump.
Damn that's pretty slick bro I like the way you think Mike yeah cuz you're going to toss the pump in the scrap metal pile anyway.... the worst case, you got a little gasket paper, with no adhesive, that ain't a big deal! Thanks Mike

Damn that's pretty slick bro I like the way you think Mike yeah cuz you're going to toss the pump in the scrap metal pile anyway.... the worst case, you got a little gasket paper, with no adhesive, that ain't a big deal! Thanks Mike
Same with water pumps and especially thermostat housings.. The replaceable part always get's the gasket.

Same with water pumps and especially thermostat housings.. The replaceable part always get's the
That makes total sense. So areas like that do not need sealer on both sides of the gasket? See what happens, when you give somebody, that started building houses, before they started working on cars a socket and wrench?

That makes total sense. So areas like that do not need sealer on both sides of the gasket? See what happens, when you give somebody, that started building houses, before they started working on cars a socket and wrench?
I usually don't put sealer on both sides. Let the gasket do the work.

I've used the spray copper before I've had real good luck with that! As far as RTV goes, the only thing I will use is "the right stuff" I will not touch nothing else I don't even know why, 35 years ago, I even bought my first tube of that blue crap, all that stuff ever done is give me Grief!
spray copper works great too. silicone has its time and place, but ultra black and right stuff are certainly great choices.

gasket sealants, and methods for that matter, are like beer and women. you find out what you like and what works for you and tend to stick with it.

i won't bring up motorcycle type sealants lest i draw the ire of the grumpy and old. no need to get the locals riled up, chi-chi.

spray copper works great too. silicone has its time and place, but ultra black and right stuff are certainly great choices.

gasket sealants, and methods for that matter, are like beer and women. you find out what you like and what works for you and tend to stick with it.

i won't bring up motorcycle type sealants lest i draw the ire of the grumpy and old. no need to get the locals riled up, chi-chi.
I've seen Sportster cases with freaking orange RTV juicing out of where the cases split.... actually my HD service manual recommends that Indian Head shellac on some spots.. most everything on the top end of an iron head you do dry rocker boxes and jugs anyhow

I've seen Sportster cases with freaking orange RTV juicing out of where the cases split.... actually my HD service manual recommends that Indian Head shellac on some spots.. most everything on the top end of an iron head you do dry rocker boxes and jugs anyhow
i see orange RTV on anything and i immediately add 2hrs to a RO

some people just want to watch the world burn, others giddily throw fuel directly into that fire.

I never have put sealant on fuel pump gaskets to actually seal, but in the case of the slant 6, it's a little hard to get to, so I normally put a small film of sealant on the block to glue the gasket to the block and let it set up a few minutes and then install the pump. That way, you have something holding the gasket in place.

All,

Finally digging into Mabel...63 Valiant 170 /6. Replacing fuel system, and it's been a while since I've done much besides maintenance. I got a new fuel pump, and it doesn't say anything about gasket sealant, just gasket and tighten bolts to specs. Not sure if materials changed, is sealant not a thing on gaskets any more, or just fuel pump, or they just didn't say anything, because everybody knows to do it?

Thanks,
Steve
I run them dry

Gasgacinch on both sides of any paper gasket. And a light coat of it on both parts. It will seal up and you can get it apart without using a sledge hammer to get it loose. And you won’t need a tool steel scraper and a 5 pound hammer to get the gasket back off.

-
Back