Replacing Fuel Sending Unit

-

Mickey12

Reaction score
Issue #1 - I am replacing the fuel sending unit in my 1965 Valiant Base, Slant/6. I was given a GT-FG69A O'Riely part for the job. Do I need the special wrench to get the metal/gasket retainer off? Can I assume that I just pull out the old and push in the new, without dropping the tank? Any special tricks along the way? The tank is less than ½ full.

Issue #2 - I need to mig weld in some floor pans, so I want to remove the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump and cap off each end. Any suggestions on what type of fittings to use? I assume this practice is safe, even with a 1/2 tanks of gas.

Staying Safe In Kansas City, Mo.
Thanks

1- there is a special tool to remove the lock ring. However, if you are careful with a soft punch you can release it without damage.

Depending on the floor work you may want to drop the tank for safety.

stick a hose on the sending unit and siphon as much fuel out as you can. Dealer still sells the rubber gasket you might want to buy a new one. Before welding blow out the fuel lines and allow to air dry. You can then cap off with tin foil and tie wraps.

If your sending unit came with a new lock ring, I suggest you do not use it. As many have experienced here, myself included, the new lock rings are not as good as the original one. The new rings are made of a thinner piece of metal and they won't pull the sending unit gasket up against the tank tight enough for a leak proof fit and your gas tank will leak.

If your sending unit came with a new lock ring, I suggest you do not use it. As many have experienced here, myself included, the new lock rings are not as good as the original one. The new rings are made of a thinner piece of metal and they won't pull the sending unit gasket up against the tank tight enough for a leak proof fit and your gas tank will leak.

I found that out the hard way. Within two months I had a good bit of gas on my garage floor and took it back to the shop that did the work. He put the old ring on and no leaks since.

Something to remember eh? lol

Several of us found out the hard, or should I say, leaky way, lol.

-
Back