Replacing leaf springs

-

Otateral

Reaction score
In preparation for July's big car makeover, I'm reading up on all I can so that I'll be prepared. One thing I'm going to do is replacing the leaf springs and also the shocks.

Right now, they're practically horizontal so its time. I'm hearing horror stories about getting the bushings off. And from what I'm reading, taking a blowtorch to them seems to be the best option.

In addition to this tip, does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps a full guide or video on how to do this?

69 Plymouth Valiant. 225. 2 door post. Automatic.

start soaking the bolts and nuts now invest in a cut off wheel just cut the U bolts off the rear axle the rear is pretty simple

hmmmm bout a hundred bucks more for just the u bolts and nuts and axle rubber.
I just ordered these for my dart (not the ones you listed but the ones below that I listed)
it came with all the bushings and doesn't sit level but about 1-2 over stock
but it'll probably settle after a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REAR-LE...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4166448956

came in 210 plus 50 shipping
or the 3 over @ 267 total and that put's it up in the air a good bit.
the blue dart in the background has the 3 inch over. I may have to flip the hanger to get it down a bit.

just re-looked at those springs and noticed that they are a 1 inch DROP over stock. so if your looking to raise it back up into stock height or over those won't work for ya.

Attachments

• DSCF2862.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 386
Word. Will pick up some blaster today. Here is where I am at now. Is this an OEM shackle? Almost looks like someone attempted to lift the car by just adding a longer shackle instead of getting new springs.

Attachments

• IMG_20120602_162235.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20120602_162313.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20120602_162340.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 344
Whoa, dont look like no OEM shackle to me, unless it came off some 70's ford hi boy:)

check with espo springs & things--they can get u the spring needed for your application. They can also answer the bushing question.

Some years ago I bought j c whitney springs--great price& free shipping. the only problem I had was the installed bushing needed a bigger bolt--so I drilled out the mount & moved on.
I dropped the whole rear & rolled it out from under the car, matched the new springs up & rolled it back in,(don't tighten anything on the new assembly until all bolts are started.)

For your swap--wire brush all that scale on the bolts now, then soak them with pb blaster or similar.

brake lines might be nasty also. good luck,Lawrence

Those aren't even from the same planet as a factory shackle.

The hardest part of doing a spring swap is dealing with rusty bolts.

My Barracuda looked like the springs and shackels you show in the picture. I ordered mine from ESPO Springs and Things. It sits well and looks really great. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't bad compared to other companies. The people were great, and delivery was great. I had the springs in hand 3 days after I placed my order.

Think I'll change out that shackle too. Out of curiosity, what effect would that shackle have on the driving?

I like the look of a rear lifted car, but not at the expense of safety.

Just did mine with new bushings and let me tell ya, it aint fun.
Especially doing the front ones with the rearend still under the car and just dropping one end at a time, fronts then rears.
Almost would have been easier to pull the springs all the way out to do it.

With new springs my barracuda sets higher in the rear than it did with the old springs and shackels that were as high as yours were. I would sends pics but it is sitting without wheels on it at this time.

With new springs my barracuda sets higher in the rear than it did with the old springs and shackels that were as high as yours were. I would sends pics but it is sitting without wheels on it at this time.

Definitely what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the advice everyone. Will post pics in a month once its done.

Just a little info. If you put the bushings in the fridge and get them really cold they slide in a lot easier. I used some nut buster spray and the bolts on mine came out fairly easy. They were really rusty, but I sprayed them the night before and they came out fairly easy. Let us know if you have any more questions.

You definitely want to go back to an OEM style shackle. Those long shackles don't raise the car, they bend the springs. They also tend to allow the rear end to move around side to side. Exactly what you don't want.

-
Back