Replacing Master Cylinder

-

Big Guy

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the bore size of the OEM master cylinder on a 1970 Dart Swinger with front disc brakes? i believe the front disc brakes are a modification because the existing master cylinder compartments are the same size.

Does anyone know what is the bore size of the OEM master cylinder on a 1970 Dart Swinger with front disc brakes? i believe the front disc brakes are a modification because the existing master cylinder compartments are the same size.
Brad's article that Oldmanmopar linked above is a great reference.

Here's the catch. Those disk/drum master cylinders are now harder to find. Kanter Autoparts has them, or did a few years ago.
For 1970 with k-H fixed calipers up front, 10.75 rear drums, Chrysler p/n 2808 600, casting will be 2225541, 1" bore.
You may be able to still buy a replacement (old stock) from Kanter Auto parts. Look on ebay with the part number and then the casting number if that fails. IIRC the username for Kanter is oldcarparts.

For 1971-2, the master cylinder was p/n 9461178, casting 3461187. It has a slightly larger bore, 1 1/32" diameter.

The big aftermarket companies like A1 Cardone just cheat.
They take a drum brake master cylinder and remove the residual valve from the rear port (front brakes).

When you open the box for a disk/drum master cylinder and find a master that looks like this, that's what they've done.
img_1120-png.png

It will still work pretty much the same. You definately want to check the fluid level more frequently since there less in the resevoir to compensate for the pistons moving out with pad wear.

Thanks Matt, bringing this up as I'm looking for a master cyl rebuild kit for our 67 cuda. Factory front std disc and rear drum. This mc came with the car, brakes work great, just trying to decipher what master cyl we have?
Sorry for shitty pics, using my phone, so underside pics are mirrored.
This looks like a drum drum MC?

20230118_023817.jpg

20230118_023933.jpg

20230118_024110.jpg

Yup. It does.
There's a list of casting numbers if your curious what it original application was for. Might be in Brad's article. Might have reposted it here at one point when I was hoping to crowd source a more complete list.
I used one for years. If it was bought for disk/drum the front reisdual valve was removed.

Can someone post a photo of the correct master cylinder that would be found on a 70 Dart Swinger 340
Front Disc Rear Drum manual brakes?

Thanks
Matt

Can someone post a photo of the correct master cylinder that would be found on a 70 Dart Swinger 340
Front Disc Rear Drum manual brakes?

Thanks
Matt
This is what I purchased for mine. I believe it is a 71-72 MC but will work for my front disc rear drum on my 1970 Swinger. You will notice the larger reservoir for the front disc system.

3C910324-21AC-486B-8382-EFA0A1E912FE.jpeg

there're many master cylinders that will work depending on how you like your brakes to feel.
...are you restoring your car to original specs?

If you want to see what the master cylinder was originally used for, check the tables out in the article linked.
Brad goes by "Mastershake" on Mopart. He's made some updates and corrections since it originally came out but still a good starting point.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/MoparAction/Master_Cylinder.pdf

there're many master cylinders that will work depending on how you like your brakes to feel.
...are you restoring your car to original specs?
Yes, I would like to see what the original MC looks like from the factory. I think I know, but would like to confirm.

Thanks

Here's the M/C you're looking for.
Note the casting number on the bottom 2225541. According to the link to the article Steve posted in #3, this is what you need. Be aware that the original version of this article had a typo, with the incorrect number shown.
Also note the flat machined front with no "snout" like the one pictured in post #4.
These are pretty expensive, but could be your best bet if you want to have the correct appearing one. Quite a while ago, the best price I could find for a rebuildable core was close to $200.

NOS Brake Master Cylinder 67 68 69 70 Dodge Dart Custom Swinger w/ Front Disc | eBay

Note the casting number on the bottom 2225541. According to the link to the article Steve posted in #3, this is what you need. Be aware that the original version of this article had a typo, with the incorrect number shown.
Also note the flat machined front with no "snout" like the one pictured in post #4.
These are pretty expensive, but could be your best bet if you want to have the correct appearing one. Quite a while ago, the best price I could find for a rebuildable core was close to $200.

NOS Brake Master Cylinder 67 68 69 70 Dodge Dart Custom Swinger w/ Front Disc | eBay
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

Matt

i just replaced a 2225541
got a 15/16 bore from autozone lifetime warranty for 55 bucks
glad i want smaller then the 1 1/8 15/16 great pedal feel
it was a bolt in

i just replaced a 2225541
got a 15/16 bore from autozone lifetime warranty for 55 bucks
glad i want smaller then the 1 1/8 15/16 great pedal feel
it was a bolt in
Hope you saved it. Even if it needs a rebuild, some one will want it.

Yup. That's Kanter. They must have a small stock of them. I'd have to check what I paid but they may have slowly been bumping up the asking price on them over the past few years, but that's it. Pretty much a Chrysler p/n 2808600 without the tage and painted bail. Best we can tell its a Bendix for Chrysler that prob never went to Chrysler but into the replacement market.

Hope you saved it. Even if it needs a rebuild, some one will want it.

Yup. That's Kanter. They must have a small stock of them. I'd have to check what I paid but they may have slowly been bumping up the asking price on them over the past few years, but that's it. Pretty much a Chrysler p/n 2808600 without the tage and painted bail. Best we can tell its a Bendix for Chrysler that prob never went to Chrysler but into the replacement market.
yeah i kept it coudnt really find a rebuild kit i was sure would work
55 lifetime warranty was a no brainer
299 on ebay is silly

Yes, I would like to see what the original MC looks like from the factory. I think I know, but would like to confirm.

Thanks
I think lid also had different text over the years. Ramman is a good source. Also on Youtube.

-
Back