Replacing Motor Mounts

-
a block of wood and a jack or an engine are going to be your best friend.

Okay well last night I got under there to remove the old mounts. I took my 22 inch breaker bar and the right size socket and pulled with all my might. Apparently I'm to weak. Any suggestions? can I use an impact wrench?

Hell yeah. Impact is your best friend for removing rusty parts.Dont forget safety glasses though.

Safety what? Who needs eyes? lol Thank you. I am not so sure it was rust as simply over tightened. The nut looks good and fairly clean. I will try with the impact tonight.

Cow poo as SlantSixDan would call them. I know they won't last forever but as long as they last for a while I am good. I got them at AutoZone for 20 bucks. passenger and driver side.The Poly ones are better but I don't have the 120 bucks for them right now. I just spent a bunch on the interior and then I had to replace the gas tank and heater core.

Well bad news the drivers side mount is not correct for an early a body. I got the drivers side out and I tried to position the new one and I could not get it to sit right. After pulling it out I compared them. The positioning "nub" on the old one is offset slightly. That offset allows the mount to sit properly. I have looked everywhere and I can not find the right ones. I know polybushings.com has the right ones but I do NOT have 120 bucks for them. Does anybody have any suggestions. I am just about to cut a 2x4 block and mount the engine to that lol.

Spray liquid wrench or nuts-off on bolts and let soak in for a day then try that impact. That works great on nuts up to 2 inches in size. I'm a pipefitter and thats what we use on the job. Good luck!

Just grind off the nub, the bolts actually hold the motor in place, the nub is just there to get it lined up at the factory, where they put the motor in, in 30 seconds.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Okay you guys will love this one. Me and a buddy changed a motor mount on a running car. Pull the hand brake, step on the brakes, then put car in gear and rev it up. Motor mount was broken so the engine lifted off and slipped the new one in. But during it we cut the upper radiator hose with the fan. Now that was fun.

Okay you guys will love this one. Me and a buddy changed a motor mount on a running car. Pull the hand brake, step on the brakes, then put car in gear and rev it up. Motor mount was broken so the engine lifted off and slipped the new one in. But during it we cut the upper radiator hose with the fan. Now that was fun.
well what would have happened if the motor died and ur hand was still in there ....... not smart jmo :shock:

Much easier to do it the right way. Still have not figured out the passenger side but I did find another post saying to take the engine mount off the engine as unit and replace the mount that way.

dart_doctor This is an update for you. I replaced the passenger and driver side engine mounts today. It was a PITA.

The driver side is easy position your jack towards the front drivers of the oil pan with a board on top and lift it a little just to ease the pressure. Then undo the top and bottom bolts for the drivers side jack it up further and slide it out. Grind the positioning nub of the new mount make sure its flat then just position it slightly off straight. Its the only way to be able to tighten the bolt down. I made sure to get the nut on a few threads while positioning.

The passenger side position the jack front and passenger side of the oil pan. Now come the fun part. Remove the engine mount bolt from the under side then use a three inch extension and remove the first bolt on the mount on the engine block. Then use a box wrench for the other nut. Life the engine you have to lift it pretty high then jimmy the mount out. Remove the rubber mount. I took the time to clean it up the mount. Then attach the new rubber mount and jimmy the whole thing back in.

It took me about 2 hours but it was WELL worth it the car feels so much better.

'65 V8's are easier, slants are a PITA, especially the passenger side. Are you running the 3" thick rubber mounts, the thin sandwich style are incorrect for that year.

-
Back