Replacing my own windshield/rear glass 64 Val

-

Slim Flipmin

Reaction score
I have a 64 Valiant 2 dr sedan rough driver. I need to replace the glass, gaskets and want to do it on the cheap. I'm pretty handy and am not intimidated by this kind of task, and I'd love to save the cash and spend the money on performance upgrades. Can any tell me what I have in store by doing it myself? Thx

The rear glass is fairly easy to get good results even if you have never
installed glass before.
You will need a piece of braided 1/8" nylon cord at least a foot longer than
the distance around the perimeter of glass.
Install the new rubber seal onto the glass and lace the cord into the seal
where the metal pinchweld rides. Tails of cord should be at the bottom center
and taped to the inside of glass till your ready to pull glass into frame.
Spread some diluted dish soap into groove and onto cord. This needs to
stay slick not sticky. If you are not doing any painting spray silicone works
better than soap.
Position glass into opening centered and pull cords to work rubber over
pinchweld. It helps to work the bottoms up even from side to side.
The windshield is done the same way but you must be much more
careful not to flex the glass as it will crack. The rear glass is not easily broken
since it is solid tempered.
Get a feel for the process on the rear tempered glass before trying the laminated
windshield.

Haven't done it, but seen on TV. Lay a carpet down, w/ a helper to help catch the glass. Sit inside the car and press it out of the gasket w/ both feet. New gaskets aren't cheap, so re-use yours if it isn't hard and cracked. Either way, remove the gasket and treat any rust underneath. Good chance to de-rust and paint under the rear package tray and dash. Also, if you plan to refurb the dash, do it now because you must remove the windshield to get at the screws.

New windshields are available for ~$170 and no shipping if you live in one of the special cities. Search for a post ~1 yr ago. If your new glass leaks, try "flowable silicone RTV" from auto stores. If the gasket is usable, but hard, I would run a bead of black butyl rubber (caulk cans) first. I think butyl is what is used on the newer "glue to surface" windshields.

-
Back