Replacing oil pump

-

DT440

Reaction score
I have a 440/727 in a 70 Duster that was an original 340 4 speed car. The driver's side motor mount was notched to clear the oil pump.

I have pesky oil leak that just started and looks like it is coming from the filter/pump. I have replaced the filter twice now and still have a small leak. The pump is a stock replacement and I've been using the off the shelf filters from the local parts stores, which I know aren't necessarily the best. I've been using them with this motor combination for about 15 years now with no issues. The car sees mostly street time with the occasional trip to the track.

My question is should I try something like a filter from Wix before I go for the pump? Also, it doesn't look like there is enough clearance to pull the pump out with the engine where it is, even if I separate the pump into two pieces. Maybe if I pull the fender well headers, disconnect the motor mounts and raise the engine a bit, but not sure how high I can get it with the big block trans since there isn't much clearance.

Anyone done this with the engine in the car?

Thanks.

Don't understand why you can't remove it in place, what mounts are you using, what K frame?

Original 340 k-frame with the Schumacher mounts.The k-frame had to be notched to clear the oil pump.

The rear of the pump where the spring goes sits pretty close to the k-frame so it doesn't look like there is enough room to slide the pump out of the block once the bolts are removed.

There are a couple O rings, the paper gasket, and a washer or two on the pump. So if it's old it might have developed a leak. No big deal.
I think you will need to unbolt the headers at least but once they're loose the engine whould lift far enough to pop out of the block. You may not be able to just lift the driver's side. You can also remove the trans crossmember to get more angle on the engine/trans assembly.

I was able to unbolt the driver side motor mount & torque strap, jack that side of the engine up a bit, separate the two pieces of the pump and rotate it to get all the bolts out. Close quarters and only took a couple hours to get it all done.

-
Back