Replacing original trans.

-

Bill Athas

Reaction score
I want to replace the original trans. in my 65 Barracuda with a newer non-cable version. It has the original 273V8 and the drive shaft has been converted to a slip yoke. I want to use a B&M or Hurst shifter. What year 904 trans would work?
Thanks

it depends on how original you want it to look when your done. if your handy, any 904 will do except lock-up. you can use the original convertor if you change the input shaft and stator support. that just leaves the nuetral switch and speedo cable. you can change the rooster comb on the valve body for the single pin switch. speedo cable iam not sure, but someone here will chime in.

To clarify zijimer, only 64-67 torque converters will work with your engine. Later ones had a larger diameter snout that won't fit in your crankshaft's hole, unless you machine the crank. As he said, you can change internal tranny parts to use a 67- converter in a 68+ transmission. 66+ transmissions are lever shift.

I think there is a way to adapt your cable shift to an after-market shifter, but not positive. I think 65 transmissions used the now-standard P-R-N-D-2-1 pattern, unlike 64-. I think their valve body is 1-year only. At least true for my 65 C-body.

-
Back