replacing rod bearings in car

-
Your neighbors sound like total pricks if they would have your car towed before you could fix it. If my Dart got impounded while I was building an engine for it I would be livid.

You cannot simply leave a rod out. That won't work. You will lose all the oil pressure as there is a huge LEAK in the rod journal with the rod removed.

You cannot simply leave a rod out. That won't work. You will lose all the oil pressure as there is a huge LEAK in the rod journal with the rod removed.

If he wants to do a half *** repair like leaving out the rod, he could take something like a piece of rubber, and wrap it around the journal, and secure it with a hoseclamp. But I wouldn't even THINK about trying to fix this in the car.

Every minor problem has a minor solution. A rod journal oil hole patch kit is always a must have. You never know when you'll need it.

That and a steel band hose clamp or two would probably actually work. For a little while.

Want something more permanent? Drill and tap the rod journal oil hole(s) for a pipe plug and plug them off. LMAO

Are we being silly now, leaving a rod out? you may as well drive it with the rod knocking and save yourself the labor right? if you are talking about just "moving " the car, you can do that with a knocking rod. Why bother getting dirt under your fingernails to remove a rod?

you may as well drive it with the rod knocking and save yourself the labor right? if you are talking about just "moving " the car, you can do that with a knocking rod. Why bother getting dirt under your fingernails to remove a rod?

Years ago I bought a 71 Charger with a factory slant that had a rod knocking. It actually wasn't too loud until it was under a load - like going up a hill. Then it knocked like a beeotch! Replaced it with another slant aftre driving it like that for a week or so. All was good until the rusties got to it.

I worked with a guy once who had a old chevelle wagon. Had a 307 in it. It had a rod knockin so bad, we could literally hear him comin to work in the morning when he turned the corner 1/4 mile up the road. It was that loud. But he drove it slow and steady and never got on it. He worked with us almost three years. He was still drivin it when he left. Still knockin.

The money you would spend fixing this slant would probably be better spent just finishing the engine that you're going to put in it. If your neighbors are really intolerant of your awesome classic car to the point they would have it impounded at the first chance they got then maybe you could just trailer it to a friends house or something until you got the engine ready to drop in. The concept of a non running and driving car being impounded is foreign to me. Where I live you can own cars to your hearts content, running or otherwise. My car spent over 10 years not running and the only attention it got was people wanting to buy it. I still can't get over the fact that your car HAS to be running and driving. That's so weird to me. How far away is that engine from completion?

The money you would spend fixing this slant would probably be better spent just finishing the engine that you're going to put in it. If your neighbors are really intolerant of your awesome classic car to the point they would have it impounded at the first chance they got then maybe you could just trailer it to a friends house or something until you got the engine ready to drop in. The concept of a non running and driving car being impounded is foreign to me. Where I live you can own cars to your hearts content, running or otherwise. My car spent over 10 years not running and the only attention it got was people wanting to buy it. I still can't get over the fact that your car HAS to be running and driving. That's so weird to me. How far away is that engine from completion?

You have a good point. I grew up in town,(In the NorthEast) and if the car didn't have registration, they would threaten impound. Also if the car was registered but didnt move, the neighbors would complain if you were parked on the street (public parking). You couldnt win. If you had a project car sitting in your yard it had to go. If you built a garage in the yard and put the car in it, they would leave you alone. If you were an old man or woman who didnt drive much, you had to drive your car around the block once a week so it "Moved". I live in the burbs now, and I am allowed 1 unregistered car on my property sitting outside. All of my outside vehicles are registered and my unregistered "Project " car is in the garage. As for the OP'S motor, I am speaking for myself here, but if the OP has all the parts/gaskets/machine work done, I am sure it would take a good day's time to assemble it. Taking your time, maybe a weekend.
I do recall the OP saying money was an issue, if they clean and inspect everything and it checks out good, things like oil pump, cam and lifters and timing chain can be reused. Everything can be checked for "Go or No Go". If they were lucky, a set of bearings, rings, and gaskets may be all it would take for an "overhaul". I usually replace oil pump and timing chain cam and lifters when I rebuil or overhaul, but I expect to spend the money when I get into an engine. When you are broke, you have to make due with what you have and save where you can. It would be nice to throw the checkbook at the engine, but I think the OP mentioned that wasn't an option.

Superglue the bearing inserts into the rod/cap. I've never done this personally, but bought a truck from somebody that did. Made it 25000 miles!

personally if that is really a spun bearing I think he is going to be pissing in the wind. But here again, wont know until it is opened up and see. To me it would be easier to pull the engine. If it is bad it will have to come out anyway. I feel for you.

Old school rumor, take bearing pieces out, clean with emery cloth, cut off a piece of old leather belt reassemble and laugh your *** off if it works.

ok so i figure i should post an update to what happened, so i took the engine out with a friend that had done alot of stuff like this before, it was all going good until we got it out and took the oil pan. not only had it spun the bearing so bad that there were chunks of bearings the #6 rod cap came off the the crank hit it so for right now the engines totaled until i get money for a new crank and full rebuild.

after it spun the bearing i got it towed home and its been sitting ever since and it spun the bearing from lack of oil circulation from jiffy lube putting in a bad oil filter. ive been through all this with other members already and they said that it's a spun bearing and to replace the bearings.

Sorry man, another hard lesson learned. I hope they make it right!

There is a whole passle of /6 guys up around Seattle and Vancouver. Go on to www.slantsix.org and ask what guys might have laying around. There was a guy giving away a 170 /6 on here or on /6.org but not sure where he was from.

Not sure from your description, but did you mean that there were chunks of the #6 bearing cap gone? Post some pix so we can see the damage; crank shafts can be turned down if not too bad and a used rod can be put in. I have rebuilt a performance V8 with ALL the bearings, (main and rods) damaged; ran it another 80k-90k miles.

-
Back