Replacing the S spring on Door Hinge...possible?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Driver door on 66 ddart /6/ will not stay open. Lower hinge is missing the S spring. I have found another hinge, only it is for the Right side door. It has a good S Spring.
I see online that you can buy the S spring, so I assume it is possible to replace?

So #1: how can I remove the S spring from the wrong hinge.
#2: how can I put the S spring into the driver hinge? Does the hinge need to be removed from car?

I have a vice, safety goggles, I have lots of screw drivers and I have a hot Saturday afternoon to figure this out. Guys it is going to be over 100 deg here in sunny Southern California. Help me out please.

Attachments

• door hinge missing.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 192
Ok nevermind I don't need help. In fact here are some pics. Maybe helps someone else out someday. BTW I had bought the green hinge at a junkyard for $5. Now I have a green hinge for left door, without S spring if anyone needs one.

So first pic in initial post was the door hinge without the S spring.

Next pic of the donor hinge in my vice, oiled up a little to help with the process.
Next pic is putting screw driver in the bottom loop and applying just enough pressure to clear the little ridge which is the S Spring notch, once cleared few light taps with a hammer on top and it will pop out. Have goggles on just incase, and closed toe shoes.

Next pic is the driver door, carefully insert the S spring, I brought it up from the bottom, door has to be completely open (helper is nice) then pull it up into the S Spring hole then turn to towards car and drop it down. Careful any touching from this point on will cause it to fall out.
Now the fun part, get a big think long screwdriver and use the hinge as a fulcrum point. DO NOT USE THE EDGE OF THE DOOR AS FULCRUM IT WILL BE DAMAGED. Now apply pressure just until it is directly over the hole and then a few taps with a small hammer and it will seat itself. I notice that if you slightly close the door as you are applying pressure it helps move the fulcrum point and allow your screwdriver to move further.
Last picture is the fixed hinge. It works. BTW on eBay I see new S springs for sale for $20 ea. I also see complete new hinges going for around $75.

Attachments

• new hinge.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 212
  • old hinge 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 201
  • new hinge screwdriver.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 195
  • new hinge S in.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 200
but then the pin and the S spring are upside down? good to know though.

Thanks for posting this. I have a new S spring that I need to install on my driver door. Can anyone give me a bullet list of how to remove the door/hinge to get it on. Any tips or anything else that would be helpful is much appreciated. I am nervous removing a door. Thanks

-
Back