Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Used factory from another car

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters
-

MCPObr44

Reaction score
Hi guys.
This post is more of an opinion piece more than anything. I have been looking around for options regarding the bench seats in my 71 Valiant, which are more or less trashed, and I have found many options.

On one hand is the crowd who would want to keep it somewhat original and just repair and reupholster the existing seat. Note these are not the seats I have in my valiant. Mine is one piece across the back.
00606_4umop1l28zk_600x450-jpg.146990

I think that's a valid choice and would be fine for a sunday driver or show car, but maybe not the greatest for a daily driver. Since those bench seats are not very comfortable and the risk of your neck snapping in an accident is real, but they're great for making out with your honey at a drive in movie.

On the other hand is the option of brand new aftermarket seats. It seems they are a common choice more and more today as people drive their cars and want comfort and safety as well as performance above originality. The problem is a lot of the aftermarket seats look pretty funky and seem like they belong in a sci fi movie and not a classic mopar.
3756168641_c0e07d5c0a.jpg

Also there would be some fabrication work to make them fit, which is not that big a deal if you have the time. You can always make out with your honey in the back seat.

But this is where my thoughts come in. Why hasn't anyone suggested robbing seats out of a more modern but still factory car and installing them?
front-seats.png

If someone is maybe not the richest in the world and can't afford hundreds of dollars in re upholstery or aftermarket, then why can't they just visit craigslist and hunt for a car being parted out? It could be just about anything from any car as long as they physically fit, the fab would make the rest happen. It would probably end up being seats somewhat similar to above. Would it just be that frowned upon? Sure there are always purists but I am talking about the majority of people. Honestly I think they look better and less intrusive than those funkadelic aftermarket seats, but that's my opinion.

So what do you all think?

Keep original
New aftermarket
Used factory from another car

Hi guys.
This post is more of an opinion piece more than anything. I have been looking around for options regarding the bench seats in my 71 Valiant, which are more or less trashed, and I have found many options.

On one hand is the crowd who would want to keep it somewhat original and just repair and reupholster the existing seat. Note these are not the seats I have in my valiant. Mine is one piece across the back.
00606_4umop1l28zk_600x450-jpg.jpg

I think that's a valid choice and would be fine for a sunday driver or show car, but maybe not the greatest for a daily driver. Since those bench seats are not very comfortable and the risk of your neck snapping in an accident is real, but they're great for making out with your honey at a drive in movie.

On the other hand is the option of brand new aftermarket seats. It seems they are a common choice more and more today as people drive their cars and want comfort and safety as well as performance above originality. The problem is a lot of the aftermarket seats look pretty funky and seem like they belong in a sci fi movie and not a classic mopar.
View attachment 1715237717
Also there would be some fabrication work to make them fit, which is not that big a deal if you have the time. You can always make out with your honey in the back seat.

But this is where my thoughts come in. Why hasn't anyone suggested robbing seats out of a more modern but still factory car and installing them?
View attachment 1715237718

If someone is maybe not the richest in the world and can't afford hundreds of dollars in re upholstery or aftermarket, then why can't they just visit craigslist and hunt for a car being parted out? It could be just about anything from any car as long as they physically fit, the fab would make the rest happen. It would probably end up being seats somewhat similar to above. Would it just be that frowned upon? Sure there are always purists but I am talking about the majority of people. Honestly I think they look better and less intrusive than those funkadelic aftermarket seats, but that's my opinion.

So what do you all think?

Keep original
New aftermarket
Used factory from another car

I agree 100%, those aftermarket seats look completely out of place in an old muscle car .
The lite weight racing / plastic seats look a little better , but are too narrow for a bigger guy, and uncomfortable as h--- to me , I`ve had them in 3 diff. cars , but no more. I`ve redone my stock buckets, completely, but would still like to have a pair that is liter.

I went with this style in my A body. Came out of a 73 Dart. Not easy to find but I like it better than the bench seat that feels like sitting on a park bench.

Seat1.jpg

Seat2.jpg

I'm thinking about using the Procar 90s on my blue car. They're more of a retro look and won't be so out of place in an old car, and the price isn't bad The image is from their web site, so they're likely available elsewhere for less.

upload_2018-10-20_8-45-17.png

My orange car has a bench very similar to the one posted by Hellrats. That arm rest makes a huge difference over the bench without one, and I'm actually thinking that style might be worth the expense to refinish. The standard flat bench isn't worth it in my opinion.

i do a lot of spirited driving.i would love to find some seats too that didnt look out of place and cost a fortune.

I'm a fan of the restored look. ($$) You can add to the foam and tighten the springs when you recover it. Otherwise, I'm w/ J-par, a pair of Jeep seats from a pick-n-pull are cheap.

Wow it seems either keeping it stock or used factory from another car are neck and neck, while the aftermarket option is the least favorite! Color me surprised!

The seats "Keystone" posted look nice but if you have a column shift I think it looks to open in the middle between the seats. Plus if they don't fold forward it's next to impossible to get into the back seat. But that's the best thing about ours cars... we can do what ever we want!

The seats "Keystone" posted look nice but if you have a column shift I think it looks to open in the middle between the seats. Plus if they don't fold forward it's next to impossible to get into the back seat. But that's the best thing about ours cars... we can do what ever we want!
4 door sedan for the win ;D
00p0p_9olojgEbnNT_600x450.jpg

and yeah it has a column shift so to speak. It has a torqueflite automatic in it. So far I am leaning towards used seats due to my current status of not flush with cash.

Well there you go! I'd put some comfortable seats in it a cruse :) I'd like to find a nice complete 4 door around here.

I got rear ended in my 'cuda a couple months ago, and i was lucky enough that the lady's headlight went right into the corner of my bumper... minor scratches and a crease in a panel that needs patching anyways... The car was fine, but my upper back wasn't. It was sore right where the low-back buckets stopped on my back, I was lucky to not have whiplash. My now mandatory restoration item is a pair of high-back buckets from a '70+ Mopar so I'll save my back and neck if it happens again!

I got rear ended in my 'cuda a couple months ago, and i was lucky enough that the lady's headlight went right into the corner of my bumper... minor scratches and a crease in a panel that needs patching anyways... The car was fine, but my upper back wasn't. It was sore right where the low-back buckets stopped on my back, I was lucky to not have whiplash. My now mandatory restoration item is a pair of high-back buckets from a '70+ Mopar so I'll save my back and neck if it happens again!
I am worried about the same thing. You see I am the tallest guy in my family and I sit really high in the seat, so even with the factory headrest as high as it will go I am still too tall. Since the valiant is my "daily driver" then I need to get something better and soon. Not to mention that broken old bench really... REALLY.... REAAAAAAALY hurts!

C718CA7F-845A-49BD-8368-D3CDAA8EB9A8.png
Power, heated, comfort. Retractable shoulder belt. $50 bucks Euro parts yard, upholstery $250. Both seats

Those Procar Pro90 seats do fold forward, I think they’re a pretty good match for the era, I’ve gone with a set of these in low back style for my 69 Hardtop (Dart) and currently getting the rear seat trimmed to match. For those that are interested I’ve also attached some pics of a 68 Dart using the Pro90s with headrests and a matched rear seat.

B49C95F7-5EDD-4052-A937-9DFFBC28A1B9.png

C5A8B83A-0392-4699-8A1A-0390F5E2B64D.jpeg

D95C4B74-14B7-400E-8851-8091E5300FDC.jpeg

Last edited:
My son's 67 post dart he chose 73 cuda buckets we recoverd along w his rear seat , the high back seats without the plastic backs they look good fit the car asthetically almost look like a high back factory option

One thing for sure is if you go looking for the 70-72 buckets with tracks and they are worth anything and not rough people are proud of them..... I prefer the factory look myself but there would be a point and a number that would make me look at other options....

It's probably a generation thing too. Younger people like the new lines and styles of modern seat. But at the end of the day nobody's opinion should matter but your own. Your car, your way.....

JW

I installed (nonpower) seats from an '01 Intrepid to replace the really heavy bench seat that needed reupholstering... had to make angle-iron brackets but they are comfortable

-
Back