replacing the spare tire wheel question

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
By the looks of things I will be replacing the bottom of my spare tire well but the gas tank is in the car. How close is the tank to the well? Can I cut the bottom out of the wheel without also cutting the gas tank?

It's too close to chance it, plus you will get better fitting results with tank out so you can seal the underneath when done.
Replacement of the fuel inlet seal is recommended too while it's down!

gas tanks are easy peasy to pull ....why risk cutting or damaging the tank. It will be out of your way and you can get a better view of any rust where the tank goes if any. You will be glad you took the 20 minutes and pulled the tank. :)

Of course I took the car out last fall and filled the tank before I put it away!

Lol, 3 - 5 gallon jugs and a 2 gallon, a small electric fuel pump and drain it right at the tank. Just make sure your wires are covered so they can't spark.

Dropping the tank is not a big deal at all. I think when I took mine out it took me all of 20 minutes or so. Unhook the sender wire, you already have the fuel line unhooked from pumping it out, 2 straps and she's out.

yup ...If you know someone who works in a shop or something .....weak fuel pumps out of cars are around.

I saved one from a ford focus for this very reason. Its too weak to work in the car but works great to fill/empty a tank. I run it off a battery pack with about three feet of rubber fuel line on each end and makes it easy to unload a tank of gas into some buckets while you work.

you really have to try to ignite gas.....unless its hot out and the gas is real fumey. anything below 70 degrees keeps it liquid and hard to ignite.

I had some gas in an open five gallon bucket and me and my cousin had a bet if we could get it to ignite. we lit matches and threw them in the bucket and I be if we couldn't get it to ignite. The liquid gas smothered it out every time. It was 60 degrees in the shop when we tried that......I doubt I would have made the same bet in the dead of summer when it 100 degrees out :D

warning video has an F-bomb but even this video shows similar with a cigarette :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some gas in an open five gallon bucket and me and my cousin had a bet if we could get it to ignite. we lit matches and threw them in the bucket and I be if we couldn't get it to ignite. The liquid gas smothered it out every time.

I've done that many times, it was part of our Firefighter training. Most people think gas will just ignite, most times it won't unless it's atomized.

It was a hoot to watch the faces of the rookie Firefighters when you drop a lit match into a bucket of gas, they would scatter like cockroaches when you turn the light on.

BUT, with all of that said, there's no reason not to be cautious.

-
Back