replacing u-joint

-

Muscley MOPAR

Reaction score
ok i no this isnt a a body but im hoping someone can help me out i have a 79 ramcharger all wheel drive transfer case and am doing u-joints on the front axles i pulled the wheel bearing seal behing it but the shaft wont come out like its bigger than the hole i tried dropping the knuckle but it runs into the shaft any thoiughts

Sorry I,m no help with 4X4 shafts,but you could PM member SuperShafts and he will probably be able to help you with"How to"...Good luck.:D

I assume you have removed the caliper/ caliper stand assembly and the rotor/hub bearing assembly? I you did then the axles will slide right out. If your still having problems, try and post a picture of what you have. The 79 should have the non locking hub. The rotor is pressed into the bearing. And no you can't remove the knuckle until the axle is removed.

Did you get all of the seal out? There could a piece of the outer rim of the seal still stuck in the knuckle. Also make sure there isn't part of a grease fitting or plug sticking out of one of the U joint caps, this will keep you from sliding the shaft out.

I went back in the shop and i had taken the caliper off the other night but not the mounting bracket cause at first look it didnt look in the way but i started chipping the hard grease nd mud out nd it was in the way problem solved

-
Back